• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sbe Console V Help And

Retro CB Guy

Jun 22, 2014
I'm on my 2nd Console V from SBE and I love this radio but now it's went out on me with some serious issues...
So I wanted to toss this out there and see if anybody has experienced this and overall view on the this radio in general too I'm curious too since this happened to me...
Basically I was listening to it when I noticed the recieve was acting not right suddenly and then when I looked further and examined my radio, the channel selector wasn't responding or working as when I turned the dial
it remained on the same channel. The scan switch still works but my recieve is shot ! This is so unfortunate
and I'm at a lost folks. However, I am thinking there is light at the end of the this CB tunnel as the person I bought it from is a full blown tech for many years and he restored this unit prior to selling it. I bought it off of
eBay and he had restored and refurbished it prior to placing it on eBay. I'll have to wait on his response back
but I wanted to get some input on this from you kind folks and especially some techs that know thier radios that
are on this forum regularly and folks that might have had this issue plus what you all have had experienced overall with this radio some too as I'm wondering if it would be worth it to keep pursuing this unit or go for another. I've got several deluxe 40 channel CB base radios though and I'm sure there are some still out there I
still would or could get. Namely that TRS Challenger 1400 for one but it's extremely rare ! That Arf 1000 was it might be cool too. Amoung a few others... Well folks here is the one I got from eBay so check this link too and
thanks for your input and help in advance...... :) Oh and it hasn't been long since I purchased this radio, about 3 weeks roughly !!
eBay item #151352096982

73's from Indiana, Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

check it for cold solder joints those radios were well noted for that problem that would be my first order of attack and then maybe some bad caps

That radio is probably still worth saving. As mrgumby said, check for bad solder joints and then check the caps.

Since your scan function is still working the chip that controls the radio, IC803 (M-58476) is most likely still OK. That's a good thing because that chip isn't made any more. There is another chip with the same number, but it's not even close.

The channel selector acts a momentary switch in either the "up" or "down" direction that sends a logic low signal to a couple of 7400 logic chips, IC801 and IC802. Those logic chips then "debounce" the signal and send it on to the chip that controls your pll. It's possible a logic gate inside one of these chips failed, but a cold solder joint is much more likely.

Good luck!

Yes thanks for the comeback and those responses... :) However soldering and those cold
solder joints isn't my thing (terrible at soldering) besides when you saw the link I posted
he refurbished the radio prior to me getting it and yes I think it couldn't be anything too
serious but I freaked out some at first. I bought some spray for switches and contacts to
spray in there on the ones involved. So my next or of attack and hopefully remedy is that.
After talking to (and emailing) the tech that refurbed this radio he suggested that which is
logical. I have a good feeling about that but who knows cos these radios are old old old...
I appriciate your help on this and if this doesn't do the trick it's going back to the tech who
I bought it from and he'll check it out! I wanted to let you guys know and I will keep you
updated here so please check back. This is all good info to know, cos ya never know you
might find yourself in my shoes some day or at least you'll know it's fixed or not.

Wishing me luck from the man above - waves from Indiana, Jim

Well bought me some good contact and switch cleaner spray and gave it shot pretty decent and that didn't fix the problem... Sigh !! So it's something else or a combination of stuff.
It's packed up and ready to be sent back to the fella and tech I got it from. I'll update this
post later as the results come in from him...

Jim

Think that I would go after the known faults and work your way out. They aren't known faults for no reason - after all. I had one of these radios many years ago and bought it knowing that it was broken. Couldn't find the parts; but I understand that AliBaba/China might have some available. If they had the spec sheet for that pll it might prove helpful to find/use a substitute/common pll with an adapter board. Not impossible; but just not easy. Perhaps a MC145106 could be bodged in . . .

The pll in the Console V is a bit... different. If you can get a look at a service manual for it you'll see what I mean. I think one of the Lou Franklin books has a block diagram as well under "Early NDI Chassis."

You'd probably be better off rigging up an Arduino and a DDS module than trying to get a MC145106 or similar installed and working.

Think that I would go after the known faults and work your way out. They aren't known faults for no reason - after all. I had one of these radios many years ago and bought it knowing that it was broken. Couldn't find the parts; but I understand that AliBaba/China might have some available. If they had the spec sheet for that pll it might prove helpful to find/use a substitute/common pll with an adapter board. Not impossible; but just not easy. Perhaps a MC145106 could be bodged in . . .

Thanks I'll look into it with my tech !!

The pll in the Console V is a bit... different. If you can get a look at a service manual for it you'll see what I mean. I think one of the Lou Franklin books has a block diagram as well under "Early NDI Chassis."

You'd probably be better off rigging up an Arduino and a DDS module than trying to get a MC145106 or similar installed and working.
Thank you also, I'll let my tech know we'll get this solved... I'll repost later updates !

My bet is the same as MrGumbys'. I had one of these great Base Stations! Fantastic radio plagued with cold-solder joint problems. I got fed up and plugged in two 25watt three-pronged plug irons and proceeded to redo every solder joint on the bottom of the board. Never had another problem with it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.