• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sbe console v

redlght

Feb 1, 2013
It has good am and ssb rx and good am tx but very low ssb tx less than half a watt but can be heard on a nearby radio very weak.

This radio falls victim to poor connections between the foil traces on the solder side of the pc board and the traces on the top (component) side.

Putting foil traces on both sides of the circuit board let them put stuff closer together. But if pressing on the pc board while transmitting SSB causes the power to jump up, this is probably what's going on.

Finding the trace with the fault so you can resolder it is the fun part.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
Also, the radio will need to be recapped. I had a similar situation happen with my Console V.... all the solder joints and such were fine, but almost every cap was out of spec. Replaced the electrolytic caps, did an alignment, and I was back up to 20W on SSB. Good luck! :)

~Cheers~

Flexing the board does not seem to do any thing but if i inject a tone at the output of the comp board i get some ssb output on the watt meter so i am thinking a ground cap has went low maybe or an transistor amp is leaking perhaps

I don't remember how many dozen tiny electrolytic caps are in that radio. We have replaced just the two or three that are bad for a customer who wants to unload the radio and keep his costs low. For him, it only needs to work long enough to demonstrate and sell. A 'scope is my go-to tool for finding a bad cap. Don't really know another way.

Replacing them all is the only way you'll have a daily driver that doesn't strand you on the side of the road a couple of times a month.

Biggest hazards of doing this are mechanical. Electrolytic caps are polarity-sensitive. Frequently the screen-print legend on the pc board will have one side of the capacitor outline marked "+". Just about every replacement cap you can buy is marked on the negative (-) side. You just have to keep track. Most replacements for the radial-lead type caps (wires parallel) will have the positive lead longer than the negative. If you insert a replacement backwards, it tends to cause trouble. And if an accidental solder "bridge" from one foil pad to the next happens when installing one of them, you'll have unpredictable fault symptoms from that until the short is cleared. Sometimes there is a bonus, where the solder bridge overloads a component and causes it to fail.

As always, taking it slow and double-checking yourself tends to pay off.

Just one problem. If the radio has any other faults in it you won't have a way to observe them until all the bad caps are replaced. Changing them all might bring the radio back to life. Might only expose the other faults that were already there all the time.

Audio is a little tiny sounding no lows to speak of maybe another cap in the comp board or audio section.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.