• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Scanner for 11-Meter

The 885 will be the AM-19 radio.
Always on and run thru the truck systems

The 980 will mount below it and used as the CB Scanner. Antenna is the spot mirror bird perch from above. RX only.

Two separate speakers.

I can switch coax between the two to use the 980 for TX.

Extended-length mount for both, radios Velcroed and zip-tied together.

Pic to come

Edit: Still in NW FTW as load leaves in morning. Errands.

Enough Public Service chatter to be of interest.

Have the Cobra 500 hooked up as speaker.

And, now that we’re an hour past dusk, the AM-19 noise has subsided.

The 980 is powered but I haven’t yet run the coax. Also need to place Speaker.

Last edited:
The 885 is a better scanner than the little 355 (no surprise; see specs of both), but two (2) hissy Unidens and my WM Radio ClearSpeech DSP Speaker temporarily out of commission is TOO MUCH.

Before getting underway again I’ll swap coax. Run the 980 as the main(TX) radio so as to get advantage of the better antenna system.

The 885 will (maybe) monitor 19, but I’ll use it primarily as scanner.

Reinstalled the little TRAM whip for the second radio and wound coax a few turns thru an FT-240/61. Mix 31 snap-on at radio end. With the Uniden ESP-20 Speaker sibilance is down. That speaker is across the cab.

When AM-19 has traffic, the AM Scanner has traffic, and the Scanner-scanner has traffic . . . wow.

It’s easy enough to:

1). Hit Scanner mute button on 885
2). Or crank down volume on 980 AM-scanner.

Scanner Nutz would rather have a unit which provides them a lot more information and programming capability than what the 885 offers. It’s a choice for being mobile, not for a base station (buy CB & Scanner separately).

An advantage it offers over the 980 is a real RF Gain dial control. Not that STUPID two position switch. I adjust RF GAIN and SQUELCH a half-dozen times per day. Maybe more.

AM Receive on 980 and 885 seem identical. Which likely isn’t a surprise, but seems obvious to note.

The 885 operates at a higher temp (hand on case external).

It’s also 2.5X the price.

That said, were there a large-case version with greater digital scanner features (and SSB), it’d move “CB Radio” (general perception) into the 21st.

Probably up to a $650 radio, now.

Given space constraints in today’s vehicles it would still make more sense than two (2) units.

Twin audio speaker outlets.
Same two antenna outlets.

But, hell, starts to sound like a base station with regular radio and power supply, doesn’t it? Just overall too big.

So I’d settle for: if the 885 would also scan AM, it’d be complete.

That one function eliminates the need for a second radio/scanner.

An SSB-capable radio for those who want that. That’s actually NOT a missing addition given the use of this radio:

Optimized Mobile

AM-19
Police
EMS
FIRE
DOT

On the back of the sleeper waay up near the rooftop is an unused platform for SatCom. I can run some RG6 back there and install the appropriate Scanner antenna to top off performance. (The little windshield wire antenna “works”, but . . . ).

I’ll move the little 27Mhz Tram up there, too. I’ll put a spring on it and hope for the best. That’ll get them both 9-10’ away from a 100W CB. (Platform is steel bolted to steel).

I haven’t updated the SD frequency database card (chip) so that addition to the GPS locator (windshield antenna) should also help.

Likely, it’d be “best” to get one of those $6-700 scanners, (SDS-100 has good reports for mobile use; the 200 even more so). But it’s a long ways down the list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Starting fourth day. Swapped coax.

980 (CB Scan) on main antenna.

885 on its three dedicated antennas.

With these two (2) there’s no ideal setup as I would like it.

980 needs adjustable RF Gain

Or

885 should be able to scan AM.

A better location for the AM Receive antenna is about as far as this can go. (Same for Scanner).

The 885 as an addition to a radio capable of scanning AM/SSB is good to go. Keep it on AM-19 with a verified good antenna.

Transmit on the other radio after stopping Scan function (main antenna system). Scan AM distant signals with this better antenna setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
8F7BC2E8-C333-4AB4-BCC4-1D8E1BD0EEEA.jpeg

As installed. The 885 gets disconnected and put away today. Will finish this trip with just the 980.

A President McKinley comes along the next trip. Along with one of the Galaxy radios.

As before, the idea remains sound, but what gear to use stil in air.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.