• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Scanner for 11-Meter

Slowmover

BANNED
Feb 17, 2015
Where the West Begins.
Running down the road presents two difficulties:

1). Noise is almost always high enough in a big truck that CB/Export radio’s capable of scanning 11-Meter are stymied by Squelch up too far.

2). I don’t wish to have the Radio off of AM-19 as its immediacy is crucial. (Non-negotiable).

Bought the very basic analog Bearcat bc355n as it’s inexpensive, and took a little more time to also buy an MFJ 310 window-mount for a handheld antenna (compatible) to hook off the passenger glass.

A). Haven’t had a scanner before so the whole thing is new;

B). And the desire is to program in everything 11-Meter can do joined
to operating mobile.

There are (can be) long periods in a 9-10/hr driving day where AM-19 is quiet (literally; or the Chatty Cathy dolls out of Central Florida never shut up), so a separate unit to scan sounded like a good idea.

Can I hear them?
Can they hear me?

You know, . . that old game.

So,

3). An antenna hanging off the glass is restricted to that side;

4). I’ve no idea if it’s a “good” decision to try to use a duplexer (triplexer?) off the Transceiver coax system.

5). I can again install the passenger door spot-mirror antenna mount, but it would be within 2’ of one of the co-phase 5’ topload antennas (below and rearward of that feedpoint).

6). “Best” 11-Meter Receive Only antenna that no ability of the little scanner is unused (is first Q).

— Your experience and advice would be appreciated.

Thx

(Smart Aleck away! And where’s Porkchop hiding?).

heeeeeyyyyyyyy,,,,, i am offended by the chatty cathy remark,,,,ha,,,,

You may be out of Ctrl FL, but do you walk over everyone for hours at a time on AM-19? Nothing to say, and saying nothing?

(Didn’t think so).

The above said in fun, when that’s what’s predominantly on AM-19 (as there are others elsewhere in USA), I turn it down after awhile as Skip is rollin’

and what the scanner brings up on ALL other 11-Meter frequencies

is the point to the thread: what else can be heard?

— “best” receive-only antenna (assuming someone knocks down using current transceiver radio with a duplexer; didn’t investigate that past a few links concerning themselves with these band pass devices on higher frequencies) is what’s wanted.

I didn’t mention that other scanner abilities aren’t any priority. But what’s available in Analog will get a hearing. Door not shut.

I figure to manually enter these (if it can be done):

Lower Sideband (40)
Upper Sideband (40)
Free-Band (20 slots available)

— 40-channels of CB is a factory radio pre-set.

— 100 spaces are available in a private bank (the manual entries above).

Have done none of it before (zip nada experience with scanners till now) so, anyone welcome.

How Quiet is 11-Meters (Today)? turned into it’s own thing (from that thread).

Scanners are seen as passive. Ears only. Remains that way here as big truck a difficult subject.

But it’s also a test:
Flip the Big Radio over to that and see if I can be heard.

Driving takes too much attention to be manually changing from AM thru Upper & Lower.

Last edited:
Reactions: secret squirrel
You may be out of Ctrl FL, but do you walk over everyone for hours at a time on AM-19? Nothing to say, and saying nothing?

(Didn’t think so).

The above said in fun, when that’s what’s predominantly on AM-19 (as there are others elsewhere in USA), I turn it down after awhile as Skip is rollin’

and what the scanner brings up on ALL other 11-Meter frequencies

is the point to the thread: what else can be heard?

— “best” receive-only antenna (assuming someone knocks down using current transceiver radio with a duplexer; didn’t investigate that past a few links concerning themselves with these band pass devices on higher frequencies) is what’s wanted.

I didn’t mention that other scanner abilities aren’t any priority. But what’s available in Analog will get a hearing. Door not shut.

I figure to manually enter these (if it can be done):

Lower Sideband (40)
Upper Sideband (40)
Free-Band (20 slots available)

— 40-channels of CB is a factory radio pre-set.

— 100 spaces are available in a private bank (the manual entries above).

Have done none of it before (zip nada experience with scanners till now) so, anyone welcome.

How Quiet is 11-Meters (Today)? turned into it’s own thing (from that thread).

Scanners are seen as passive. Ears only. Remains that way here as big truck a difficult subject.

But it’s also a test:
Flip the Big Radio over to that and see if I can be heard.

Driving takes too much attention to be manually changing from AM thru Upper & Lower.

ya must have been with 29/2995/silver daddy,,,,,,he takes up the airwaves on 19.....we are on late at night usually from 10 pm till 2 am or so,,,,,we help drivers a lot looking for the warehouses in lakeland and plant city,,,,there is a bunch on the daytime shift that do nothing but audio and music,,,,,,,

That’s great you do that!! Thank you. Used to be more of it in this country. Some really great guys who stuck with you till understanding was clear.

An Atlas & maps make giving directions easy, granted, and their constant reference makes me FAR more knowledgeable about my area.

The overlays of Rail, Air, Pipeline, Electrical Distribution, etc, makes it even more interesting. A topographical map is (for me) the finish. Water flows are the references for all of the rest.

Came thru Knoxville earlier this year. On-air reports get dicy as (4) potential roads are being spoken about (Two Interstates). Terrain & Rain screw things up fast. A local or two, grabbing gears (beers) on-air at nicely-sorted Base Stations are a genuine help. The Radio greatly alleviates anxieties about what’s out ahead. What Road and What Compass Direction and What Mile Marker are the majority of it.

A wreck near that three-way intersection was the news. Which of the four directions wasn’t easy to figure. Till the local Big Bob got his Baracalounger in gear & rolling.

The Scanner “might” get me locals on an adjacent channel sorting a bypass route. Etc. That’s not chicken scratch, as alternates are something to recall for the future.

The Rand-McNally Commercial Carriers Road Atlas is the industry bible. Worth having whether truck driver or not as the information is far greater than the one aimed at car drivers. “Truck Routes” are better-built with shoulders & comprehensive signage. Lighting and bypass plus clearances. An RV’er benefits, as well as anyone traveling in bad weather. Etc.

Sometimes it’s good to avoid truck routing. Sometimes it isn’t. Some states highly restrictive. Some are not.

You ever decide to boogie out ahead of a hurricane, knowing the stream bridges and rail viaducts is the key. Everyone else is going to get sent via truck routing (storm evacuation lanes) as Emergency Services already have their boundaries plotted.

Some bridge routes will be blocked as they create choke points.

And depending on Internet sources isn’t best idea, official or unofficial. I’ve made it past problems blocked “officially” (though restraining Americans isn’t authorized), usually innocent of that.

AM radio TRAVELER INFORMATION is handy to have in pre-sets. Good excuse to my dispatcher. The default is so low it’s pathetic. Difficult terrain in an unknown region is where its best.

But, . . NOTHING trumps the knowledgeable local. Stop and take a nap till it clears? Bypass? Just suffer on through? There’s lots to consider.

I figure having a scanner will make it MORE likely I can find the local gravel-haulers (whomever).

A man such as yourself acting on behalf of others is a god-send. The unexpected gift.

Tell ‘em:

“Just helping the old granny truck drivers get across the street”.

Last edited:
Not sure how relevant this could be SLO but my McKinley has that ASC(automatic squelch Control) that works great! It cuts out the really really faint signals but lets actual conversations in. I was really surprised on how well it works. No need to constantly fumble with the squelch. Kinda set it and forget it.

With the main rig parked on ch 19, then 19 can be taken out of the scan list for the scanner. I wonder if there is a way to rig a remote button on the scanner to make it start scanning again when it locks in on some noise?

I plan to mount it that STOP or RESUME (scan) I can do by touch (assuming the unit complies).

Good questions and points held.

How to use

Reactions: secret squirrel
Not sure how relevant this could be SLO but my McKinley has that ASC(automatic squelch Control) that works great! It cuts out the really really faint signals but lets actual conversations in. I was really surprised on how well it works. No need to constantly fumble with the squelch. Kinda set it and forget it.

I’ve gotten the noise floor in the Pete lower than I expected. More to come. But between what remains and local conditions, Squelch can kill half or more of what’s available. Use of a second radio (receive-only Scanner) I can maybe keep quiet enough on one hand, yet note voice on one band or another.

The Big Radio undergoes changes thru the day. Those are very specific to AM-19, and discriminating Skip from Local plus noise.

Channel Scan with the 980 was a disappointment.

The current DX-86v won’t be the last radio, but it has what I want for now.

As the reference worth keeping, a typical four-wheeler is dead quiet after a good install compared to a typical fleet big truck.

Slowmover, Off the subject but I have not heard that in 10 years. I had worked as a home health care RN. My mileage was done by Rand McNally standard mileage. Everyone would be upset about being shorted mileage, because it was a rural county and noone traveled in a straight line. I had to ask a driver on channel 19 how it worked to do the mileage calculation

52AA52B9-E895-4B94-B962-AA9F40E2644D.jpeg
Had to leave home before all the gear arrived.

The suction cup antenna “works” in a big truck, but not so you’d notice.

I have an MFJ-310 on the way, and the first of a couple of antennas I’ll try. (Goes on window glass; coax stays inside).

D17A2FFC-5EC4-43B5-BE71-43E2C9E1DC23.jpeg

I have to be “about” 150-yards or less in distance before the suction-cup wire antenna picks up AM-19 (shown above).

(Nice clean talkback, though, ha!).

I’ve barely run it on other bands. No real interest (and one needs to go up quite a ways in price to move from Analog to Digital), so that’s a topic for another thread.

It’s quite compact. The controls are easy to use and intuitive. Nice feel to Vol & Sq. LCD screen washes out in bright light, but that’s to be expected.

At this point, a 980 Uniden set to Scan would suffice.

Space is at a premium, so that’s not desirable at this time.

(More to come)

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
D18C5CED-F8CC-429F-A809-D5623EC73F75.jpeg

Waiting for a load at the Petro in Joplin, MO.

Scanner set to CB only (or 25-28 MHz) and using the supplied suction-cup wire antenna, I can get the VERY strongest signals at about 150-yards out ahead (same or opposing directions) the past 3-4000 miles.

Don’t have a UHF-BNC adaptor of the right type to connect the bc355 to a CB antenna. The antenna is an obvious weak point.

So we’re not yet at a comparison of Scanner vs scanning CB Radio.

Using a factory antenna across dash as test this morning:

— Uniden 980 set to RF-Distant.

— Squelch is at 5/8-closed.

On AM, I get trapped on the Superbowl. Howling idiots.

On LSB it’s more effective (thus far).

With right adaptor will baseline using truck CB antenna pair.

1). Receiver vs receiver,
2). and as against antennas I wind up trying to use with the MFJ-310.

Scanner-Only antennas come later.

Coax Entry/Exit from the cab is the hang-up at present

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.