• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Schematic/Service Manual for Chinese Cobra 148 GTL?

unit248

Nov 26, 2010
I recently won a new-in-the-box Cobra 148 GTL in a raffle. Of course, it's one of the Chinese ones (exactly the same as the one Robb reviewed last year). I need another radio like I need a hole in the head, but I put it on the air for the heck of it and found that it's off frequency by about 200hz (which apparently is par for the course with these things). I'd like to try recalibrating it, but I want to have some schematics and/or the service manual for it handy first. I can find plenty of documentation on the original 5-pin 148 GTL on CBTricks.com, but I don't know how much (if at all) that applies to the Chinese edition. For example, I know that the original 148 GTL used the AN612 balanced modulator chip for SSB, but that part is obsolete so I suspect the newer radio uses something different. (I haven't taken the cover off mine yet.)

I've done some searching on the googles and on this forum but haven't found any leads. Does anyone know of a source for a schematic for the current Chinese Cobra 148 GTL, or is it a close enough replica that I can still use the original?

-Bill

Thanks for the replies, but like I said, the info on CBTricks.com is for the original 5-pin "side-mic" Cobra 148 GTL. I know the new Chinese 148s are close to the original design, but the question is, how close?

As an aside, I took a peek inside the radio this past weekend. I saw what I think is the balanced modulator, but couldn't see any silkscreening on it so I couldn't identify it. One unusual thing I did see: the final is marked as a 1969, though the markings look like they're on a sticker that's been pasted on the transistor. Who knows what it really is.

-Bill

Thanks for the replies, but like I said, the info on CBTricks.com is for the original 5-pin "side-mic" Cobra 148 GTL. I know the new Chinese 148s are close to the original design, but the question is, how close?

As an aside, I took a peek inside the radio this past weekend. I saw what I think is the balanced modulator, but couldn't see any silkscreening on it so I couldn't identify it. One unusual thing I did see: the final is marked as a 1969, though the markings look like they're on a sticker that's been pasted on the transistor. Who knows what it really is.

-Bill
I just blew a final in my Chinese Cobra 148. I can't find any info on this radio. What final is in there? Does anyone have a service manual?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated