• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Scorpion Repair Shop?

And he is no longer taking repairs I am told as well as closed his YouTube channel.
FB is still up.

I hope it's not an FCC thing.
He seemed like he wanted to do the right thing and I know that ruffled a few feathers.

If someone knows why he is shutting down do tell.

Yeah, that's his page and it's still there.

I got word that he received an FCC letter.
I don't know if that is true or not but if it is I can't blame him for pulling the plug.
Tinkering with amps and getting a steep fine is not in the best interests of his family if that is the case.

Reactions: Sonar
Yeah, that's his page and it's still there.

I got word that he received an FCC letter.
I don't know if that is true or not but if it is I can't blame him for pulling the plug.
Tinkering with amps and getting a steep fine is not in the best interests of his family if that is the case.
I spoke with him back in March .. he said he was Heading back to Oklahoma in June or July and that he wasn't taking anymore amps ..

We established that he separated from the USMC and moved to Oklahoma.
He said that in his videos. He talked about it for months.
But until very recently, like the last few days, he was indeed working on amps and putting up videos.

He was doing a get together next month and was posting about it so this is not a situation where he decided back in June or July.
He was posting videos this last week about the get together and amp work.

Hmm first I've heard but I'll shoot him an email and report back. He's done some Amp work for me before and hands down the best guy as far as customer service and great tech too.

Reactions: Delta 1
Probably the same thing that happened to Tech Nine, somebody jealous probably put the heat on him.

You guys might not like Gatekeeper but sometimes I like his videos, sometimes not so much but he’s not posted in awhile.

And I’ll get hammered for this one but I kinda like ole Lucas Miller myself. I’m real surprised he’s not had the heat on him.

I looks to me like the FCC needed to step in anyways, it was getting way too out of hand.

I've had some techs I've seen locally grind axes over the input networks - much like shown in the vids before they took them down...

Not sure of why someone would "Wind" a core for input in a combiner with so many winds - like it's going out to see Ladder - Line at the next stop off the antenna jack - lots of winds - like they wanted every last ounce of energy not wasted...that changes the impedance - not 50 ohms, more like matching network balun for 1 full wavelength

Just a few turns guys, nothing more - too many and you might want to use it to start your car the next time at the key down.

The voltage poke at the end of the coax can arc an air gap - don't believe me? Here, hold this coax for a second...

And I’ll get hammered for this one but I kinda like ole Lucas Miller myself. I’m real surprised he’s not had the heat on him.
This who you mean? Letter was sent last year about this time.

Dear Mr. Miller: It has come to the attention of the Federal Communications Commission that BBI Amps is marketing unauthorized radio frequency devices in violation of Section 302(b) of the Act1 and Section 2.815(b) of the Commission’s Rules.2

https://transition.fcc.gov/eb/AmateurActions/files/DOC-349463A1.html

Homepage has this in bold type: ATTENTION: WE ARE NOT TAKING ORDERS
His facebook page has a tab though to check "ON ORDERS"...interesting though!

Several builder shops/sales outlets have gotten warnings in the last year...could be other actions to follow if further complaints are registered or observed...but it's a long process.

I think the bigger problem is the co-called "peak and tune" industry that turns everything to 11 and clips parts.

Scorpion seemed like a good guy just trying to learn and repair things.
I am sure that some of the guys I have read in other places hated him - mostly the "amp builders"

Probably just another turf war just like the one with the "techs" out there.

Reactions: NZ8N
Scorpion seemed like a good guy just trying to learn and repair things.
Yes true!
Yes and not knowing this man's work. I will not speculate.
However age old story though; is a respectable dealer/repair service etc... regardless of industry or product comes along trying to be honest and gives his customers an even break, the competitions first reactions are to try and find fault or generate information to the contrary because they have gotten in their wallet!:whistle:
The American way:LOL:
All the Best
Gary

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.