• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SDR-1000

Ok here is the final lay out of the station with the new rack box..

w1msg-2_resize.JPG

w1msg-3_resize.JPG

w1msg-5_resize.JPG

Craig

I know this is an old thread but I am in the same boat, sdr-1K and rack gear.
I have the SDR-1K, later model, edirol fa66 sound card. For gear and mics I have a behringer VX2000, samson s-cruve 31 31 band graphic EQ, behringer xenyx 1202 (probably not needed) and 2 mic choices, both condensor. Sterling audio ST-51 and a MXL-990.

I have been having issues with ground loops, ac hum etc. It also seams like it really tough to get things setup without hearing a mouse fart at the neighbors house. Did you have any of these issues? I have been messing AM the most trying get it set up and my dummy load is getting a workout:D

I dont have any RF issues any longer as I grounded everything to a ground bar. I also added lots of snap on ferrites to the audio cables coming from the Flex, that seems to have cured all my RF issues. You need to keep the rack gear as far away from the radio as possible.

I'm 90% sure my issues are not RF related. I am getting ac hum, ground loop noise on the audio line. I think it may be sloppy connections where the 1/8" connectors plug into the sdr-1k from the sound card. I believe I was still hearing the hum and seeing the noise with a dead carrier. Even with XLR cable plugged into the edirol sound card. The is with any amount of carrier into a dummy load.

I don't have an SDR rig, but I ran into ground loop hum too. In my case, I solved it by making sure that all the AC power connections for my gear did _not_ have a ground pin (i.e. they all had just 2-pin connectors).

I had a fairly simple setup to start with: mic, Xenyx 502 mixer, 31-band Nady EQ and a Behringer MDX1600 compressor. At the time I was using my Kenwood TS-850 and DSP-100. Everything goes to the same power strip. When I first plugged these three audio units in, I had terrible hum. Re-arranging the audio connections didn't seem to help at all.

But then I noticed something unusual: the Nady EQ had a typical 3-pin socket on the back for a standard 3-conductor AC cable, but the other end of the cable that came with it had just two pins -- there was no ground pin at all, meaning that the ground pin from the EQ was not connected. I thought this was weird: I'd never seen a cable like that before. Then I looked at all the other AC connections for the rest of the gear, and all had 2-pin AC connections, except for one: the Behringer MDX1600. The Kenwood power supply, the DSP-100, the Xenyx mixer and the EQ all had just 2-pin AC plugs.

As an experiment, I tried removing things from the chain to see what would happen. Removing the EQ had no effect: the hum remained. Ditto for the mixer. Then I removed the MDX1600 and the hum disappeared. Then I put the MDX1600 back in place of the EQ -- the hum came back.

Finally I put the EQ's 2-pin power cable on the MDX1600, and again the hum was gone.

So I put everything back in place and found an adapter to convert the MDX1600's 3-pin power cable to a 2-pin one, and then everything worked great.

I don't know if Nady purposely supplies those unusual AC cables with their gear because they know it helps avoid ground loops or if it was just a coincidence, but at least in my case that was what did the trick.

Recently I replaced some of my audio gear, and I once again ended up with one 3-pin AC cable in the mix, and sure enough the hum came back. Unfortunately this time I'd already used the adapter and didn't have another, so I resorted to the brute force approach of ripping the ground pin out of a spare AC cable with a pair of pliers. Once again, no more hum.

I don't know if this applies to your situation at all, but this was a bit of an a-ha! moment for me, and I figure it never hurts to share those. :)

-Bill

I'm 90% sure my issues are not RF related. I am getting ac hum, ground loop noise on the audio line. I think it may be sloppy connections where the 1/8" connectors plug into the sdr-1k from the sound card. I believe I was still hearing the hum and seeing the noise with a dead carrier. Even with XLR cable plugged into the edirol sound card. The is with any amount of carrier into a dummy load.

It could be the connections on the back of the 1000, but I'm not sure. I have never had the problem you are describing, but then I am not running any of the gear you have. I run a more traditional VooDoo rack for ESSB ...
Ultragain Pro PreAmp, UltraCurve Pro EQ, Ultrafex Pro (VooDoo Box) and the Virtualizer Pro. I use the AKG Perception 220 Condenser Mic .. Hope you can figure it out !

I have a completely different setup, but I had a ground loop hum in one the mic cables in my audio chain. It turned out to be a ground loop introduced by the heil cable. It was a hassle to find as I'm sure you discovered.

Regarding the neighbor's mouse farting and your mic picking it up, playing around with the downward expander / noise gate function on PowerSDR should clear that up for you.

Makes perfect sense, I have some friends in the music industry and when I installed the electrical to the studio they wanted ungrounded receptacles. I told them the only way I could "legally" do this to match code was by using vintage style 2 prong receptacles. They opted to rip the ground prongs out of the cords.

I don't have an SDR rig, but I ran into ground loop hum too. In my case, I solved it by making sure that all the AC power connections for my gear did _not_ have a ground pin (i.e. they all had just 2-pin connectors).

I had a fairly simple setup to start with: mic, Xenyx 502 mixer, 31-band Nady EQ and a Behringer MDX1600 compressor. At the time I was using my Kenwood TS-850 and DSP-100. Everything goes to the same power strip. When I first plugged these three audio units in, I had terrible hum. Re-arranging the audio connections didn't seem to help at all.

But then I noticed something unusual: the Nady EQ had a typical 3-pin socket on the back for a standard 3-conductor AC cable, but the other end of the cable that came with it had just two pins -- there was no ground pin at all, meaning that the ground pin from the EQ was not connected. I thought this was weird: I'd never seen a cable like that before. Then I looked at all the other AC connections for the rest of the gear, and all had 2-pin AC connections, except for one: the Behringer MDX1600. The Kenwood power supply, the DSP-100, the Xenyx mixer and the EQ all had just 2-pin AC plugs.

As an experiment, I tried removing things from the chain to see what would happen. Removing the EQ had no effect: the hum remained. Ditto for the mixer. Then I removed the MDX1600 and the hum disappeared. Then I put the MDX1600 back in place of the EQ -- the hum came back.

Finally I put the EQ's 2-pin power cable on the MDX1600, and again the hum was gone.

So I put everything back in place and found an adapter to convert the MDX1600's 3-pin power cable to a 2-pin one, and then everything worked great.

I don't know if Nady purposely supplies those unusual AC cables with their gear because they know it helps avoid ground loops or if it was just a coincidence, but at least in my case that was what did the trick.

Recently I replaced some of my audio gear, and I once again ended up with one 3-pin AC cable in the mix, and sure enough the hum came back. Unfortunately this time I'd already used the adapter and didn't have another, so I resorted to the brute force approach of ripping the ground pin out of a spare AC cable with a pair of pliers. Once again, no more hum.

I don't know if this applies to your situation at all, but this was a bit of an a-ha! moment for me, and I figure it never hurts to share those. :)

-Bill

I have a completely different setup, but I had a ground loop hum in one the mic cables in my audio chain. It turned out to be a ground loop introduced by the heil cable. It was a hassle to find as I'm sure you discovered.

Regarding the neighbor's mouse farting and your mic picking it up, playing around with the downward expander / noise gate function on PowerSDR should clear that up for you.

I have a noise gate in the VX2000, I can easily get rid of the back ground noise. Have not played much with the one in powerSDR yet but will soon. I also may opt for a dynamic mic in the future but I have wanted to do this for a few years anyway, either the shure SM-7 or the EV RE-20. Right now I want to get it up and running noise free.

Thanks for chiming in guys. Any tips or tricks you feel I need feel free to throw them my way. At the present I am using an older version of powerSDR that I found on this site.

I know this is an old thread but I am in the same boat, sdr-1K and rack gear.
I have the SDR-1K, later model, edirol fa66 sound card. For gear and mics I have a behringer VX2000, samson s-cruve 31 31 band graphic EQ, behringer xenyx 1202 (probably not needed) and 2 mic choices, both condensor. Sterling audio ST-51 and a MXL-990.

I have been having issues with ground loops, ac hum etc. It also seams like it really tough to get things setup without hearing a mouse fart at the neighbors house. Did you have any of these issues? I have been messing AM the most trying get it set up and my dummy load is getting a workout:D
I won't use the compressor, vox, or the compander features in the PowerSDR software (lower/center of the P/SDR GUI) until they make these parameters choices user friendly in a 'drop down' box; or they change the software to use the real 'threshold, ratio, attack, release, soft knee/hard knee, and gain' functions like a real compressor. Or both. Then, I might use it. But not as it is now.

However, the 'noise gate' feature is xlnt and quite useful to keep out any unwanted background noise (aka 'mouse farts'). I do use that feature. But you do need to keep the gain up on this radio - like you would any other radio. Especially in SSB. Fortunately, the meter in the P/SDR software (upper right and corner) can be selected via a drop-down box to check the mic gain and the ALC levels. Very important to use these features when setting up one's audio - IMO . . . .

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.