• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SDR as first HF transceiver?

There are several radios that can provide a signal so you can "see" the signals on your computer monitor. You need a radio that provides broadband IF Output. Used in combination with an SDR receiver (like Larry Phipps' LP-Pan Telepost Inc. Home Page) you can feed data to your computer and see the signals on your monitor.

This is an oversimplification of the set up but a VERY good alternative to the Flex radios.

One radio in your price range, that has this capability, is a used Kenwood TS-850. This is an old radio (mid 1990's) so you need to try it out to make sure it is working properly. The 850 is a good radio. I doesn't have DSP but is a solid rig with good filtering and CAT control (computer control).

Later if your budget allows you can upgrade the radio (Elecraft K3, Yaesu 950, 2000, 3000, 5000, Ten-Tec Orion II) and keep your SDR system.

Welcome to the hobby. Have fun.

This sounds really interesting to me. Does this pass enough information to the PC to process/demodulate the signal so it can do custom filtering etc on the PC side, or is it just for the visual feedback?

Thanks

Mikael

As are you. What makes your opinion more reliable then mine or anyone else? I was only offering that I actually own an Alinco, yes not the the same league but same mfg.

Pay no attention to Browningman. He has been know here in the past as Channel Jumper aka AB3NK aka WD3D. Since he can't take a hint I figure he should be exposed for who he REALLY is.

Reactions: 3 people
This set up will only give you a visual display of the IF. The filtering is determined by the radio. The Flex 1500, 3000, and 5000 are unique in the the software is the radio and the filtering is done in the software.

The system I described is portable to another radio (those with an IF out). Later if your budget allows you can upgrade your radio to get better filtering.

My advice would be to start with the FT-450. Spend some time on the air. Find out what modes you like to work. Find out what features you like or don't like about the 450 and decide if you need to upgrade.

Good Luck.

My 2 cents ...

I would start out with a good traditional HF radio. Instead of relying on a waterfall display to tell you what bands are best, I think it's very important to develop some basic radio skills, like tuning across the bands and finding a strong signal then looking up the call in one of the on-line databses. Note the time of day and frequency and this will give you a "feel" for propagation characteristics. You can develop an extra sense as to what frequencies work and when. On top of that you can save a few $$ on a traditional radio over an SDR. There is also the power issue. If you develop some radio skills on a traditional transciever with 100 watts, then operating that new SDR will give you pleasure for making contacts, not frustration because you think they dont hear you and you have an expensive high-tech boat anchor. You can do a lot with low power, I'm a fan myself, but build the radio skills first. I guess it would be like learning to drive well on a Honda Civic before buying that high-end Audi. As far as Alinco goes, I can't comment on their new stuff, but my first ever HT was an Alinco DJ-120T that I bought used back in 1988 (from Burghardt) while stationed in Korea. It still sits on my shelf (look at my shack on QRZ) and other than replacing the NiCads twice, it still rocks! Been dropped, wet, run on 12v as a mobile, used it to run packet in Korea, it has been through the mill. I had a Yaesu HT (Dual Bander) that was a piece of crap from the get go and I let it go.

K4PIH

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for all the answers even though it got a bit side tracked there. After talking to a few people at my local club, I think I'll heed your recommendation and start with a traditional radio. One of the club members told me of another member that had a ts-440 for sale that had been well treated and I may see what he may accept for it.

Now if my name could just show up on the FCC listing....

Mikael

Thanks for all the answers even though it got a bit side tracked there. After talking to a few people at my local club, I think I'll heed your recommendation and start with a traditional radio. One of the club members told me of another member that had a ts-440 for sale that had been well treated and I may see what he may accept for it.

Now if my name could just show up on the FCC listing....

Mikael
I was going to suggest this....:)

What would you guys think of a Yaseu FT-920 in really nice condition (visually looks almost like new) for $500?

A local guy have one for sale, but I don't know enough about them to know what to look for as far as weaknesses etc.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mikael

I would have a look at the ICOM 718, it offers a lot in a small package and can be had new near $600. Get on the air and learn HF then you can start shopping bigger rigs. Money at the time is best spent on antennas.

Reactions: 1 person
What would you guys think of a Yaseu FT-920 in really nice condition (visually looks almost like new) for $500?

A local guy have one for sale, but I don't know enough about them to know what to look for as far as weaknesses etc.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mikael

FT-920 is a fine rig! $500 is an almost to good price, however make sure it is completely functional and you'll have something nice to build from.
All the Best
Gary

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.