• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SDR Kraken to Locate Jammers

That many 9 ft whips would be impractical. But what about small base loaded antennas? Compromise antennas for sure, but finding one of these systems you could mod for 27mhz would be nice. Would certainly make locating the local CB terrorist easier :D

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Specs state operates 24~1766mhz. Friend has one and says ant's must be 1/4 wave of detecting freq. and spacing is very important. I suppose you could come up with loaded-shortened 1/4 antennas for 11 meters and try it.

BUT WAIT !! THERE MUST BE MORE !!
Something doesn't jive here. As I mentioned, I have a local friend who has one and I'm sure he's read the manual - so he was telling me that the Antenna System used needs to be 1/4 wave of the targeted frequency and that by itself makes sense. HOWEVER .... the specs state that the device works between 24~1766MHZ and they make and sell you this Antenna Set. Well THAT set can only be 1/4 wave within a megahertz or two of wherever they are constructed at ..... looking kind of short. SO are you telling me that they are making and selling you an antenna set for their very wide-banded device that only works well in one little frequency spot? That doesn't make sense. - I have an inquiry into my friend and I'll report back what he says. He's an engineering type and methinks my question will make him dig up the truth of the the things.
My initial bet here is that the Antenna Set they sell you WILL work anywhere the device does. It's efficiency may wane on both ends of the capability .... but should still work anywhere .... especially if you can get reasonably close enough to the signal.

Last edited:
It is a receive device only. You can receive off of a coat hanger wire as easy as anything else, especially when the target object is near enough. So the antennas provided would/should be fine from 24-1766 MHz. You do not have VSWR issues unless the antenna(s) are being transmitted from.

The Kracken Antennas are Metal Telescopic, not sure what the length is fully extended but I'm sure they would be fine for 27mhz if you're reasonably close to the source ..... which you should already be able to get pretty close to begin with if you're out hunting down a jammer in a local area.

Reactions: NZ8N
Antenna Spacing and Length are both important to the device's readings. Don't get those 2 right .... it may give you false readings on the map/screen. Only way to know is to test it on a known signal location and see if gives you a correct heading.

In the 1980's and 1990's plenty of people made equipment to give you what in Aviation we call a DX Steer! Back when Fox Hunts where all the rage.

You could also do it pretty easy just driving around and doing doughnuts and in parking lots and watching you rf meter and knowing the radiation pattern of you car's antenna system.

I made very directional receive antenna's and transmit antenna's. Imagine 20 or 30 2 man teams searching a city and the country side and forest between 9pm to 6am in the morning taking turns playing basically hide and seek with radio's. TO make it more fun you had to touch the car transmitting the signal so some times it turned into a foot race.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated