• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SDR software setup - FTDX-1200

RatsoW8

Supporting Member, W9WDX ARC Member - WD8T
Nov 3, 2009
West Central Michigan
Well I did something I've wanted to do for a while now and that was to purchase an SDR dongle. I bought one from NooElec and got it working with the HDSDR software. Pretty cool but the dongle covers from 25mhz up and I wanted to use it on the lower bands. If I used it as a IF based pan adaptor for my FTDX-1200 then I could. So, the next step was order the IF tap kit from G4HUP.

The kit isn't for the faint hearted which I am when it comes to soldering around these tiny smt components and drilling holes in my pristine radios case.. But after an hour of sweating and careful hookup I got it installed. Soldering the wire to one tiny leg of a miniature relay was tricky. The rest was fairly easy and it works!

I have signal going to the dongle and it tracks with the rig but I can't seem to get the HDSDR software to read or track the correct frequency. It also doesn't seem to be exactly on the same frequency as the FTDX-1200. Close but not exactly and I know it's in the software configuration. There doesn't seem to be a good tutorial out there explaining how to set it up. I found a Youtube video that explains setup fro the FT-857 but the op is also controlling the rig/SDR software with HRD. DO I have to run HRD to have full use of the SDR software?

I'd appreciate any input from anyone using a similar setup. Thanks!

Here are are few pics of the G4HUP kit install. Total investment including dongle, IF tap it and cables was about $70.

WP_20160604_003.jpg WP_20160604_006.jpg WP_20160604_007.jpg WP_20160604_008.jpg WP_20160604_009.jpg

Reactions: 2RT307

Were you able to get ot to work? It works really cool if you did!

I am assuming you are using Omni-rig, too. Once you get things going, check out the SDR-CONSOLE program as well. It is free, and works great. Two versions, (2 and 3), and I have been using version 3 for a while now.

Brett

Brett,

I didn't have much time yesterday to do anything except read through the setup on the link you posted. One issue is that I need to connect the 1200 via the com port to my PC. I have a serial to usb cable but haven't even had a chance to take it out of the box yet. So, this weekend if the cable does it's thing I'm going to update the firmware in the 1200 and spend some time setting up HDSDR. I know from past experience these adaptor cables that require drivers can be difficult to get working.

I'll post an update once I have it all figured out or not :) I appreciate your input!!

Reactions: 2RT307
Brett,

I didn't have much time yesterday to do anything except read through the setup on the link you posted. One issue is that I need to connect the 1200 via the com port to my PC. I have a serial to usb cable but haven't even had a chance to take it out of the box yet. So, this weekend if the cable does it's thing I'm going to update the firmware in the 1200 and spend some time setting up HDSDR. I know from past experience these adaptor cables that require drivers can be difficult to get working.

I'll post an update once I have it all figured out or not :) I appreciate your input!!

Cool! Hope you get it up and running. It's a lot of fun to see the signals on the panadapter and just click on them. The Omni rig software sync's it all together. I use LOG4om as well, and when you click on a spot, it takes you there...mode and all. Have fun!

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.