• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SDR - Who's In? (Newly licensed too: KJ7GKX!)

Hello, friends! I finally got my Tech license and am studying for my general.

I was wondering if anyone is running an SDR Transciever? Just saw this one over on my pal's website:

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/hermes-lite...-sdr-made-from-a-repurposed-cable-modem-chip/

I'm super new to SDR and not what I'd call "super tech minded" when it comes to knowledge. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them. There are many SDRs out there now and pulling the trigger is going to be tough!

Congrats on your Tech license, get that General!

What your looking at might be a bit much starting out with if you aren't computer and somewhat technical savvy.

I don't run a SDR Transceiver but I do use a SDR Play receiver that's patched into my Kenwood TS590SG. The SDR Play is an open source device that let's you use many of the free SDR software out there. I mainly use this as a panadapter display so I can see all the signals on any band. I still prefer a hands on radio but do use some software for certain things.

I also have my Icom-7000 running thru the SDR Play for VHF/UHF signals and beyond.

If your looking for a reasonably affordable SDR radio, The Icom 7300 is a good start for a desktop radio or you can go the computer route with ones made by Apache labs and others like the one linked in your post.

Good luck!

I've been using an anan 100 for about 3 years. I've been happy with it but is did take some fine tuning of pc settings to make it work perfectly.

Using the db25 connector on the back for an external audio chain took some macgyver work because the panel its mounted to is so thick. I had some rfi issues to work out when running QRO but after all of thet its an amazing rig. I can't imagine not having pure signal now.

You get a rig in a box and no customer support unless it's defective. That's the only reason I won't recommend them to everyone. I hear Flex is more user friendly but I've never used one.

The anan 8000 is on my wish list but I probably won't have one any time soon. As much overtime as I've had lately it's been tempting though.

Reactions: TheRATT

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.