• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sears Road Talker mobile Carrier on SSB

Anthony R Belle

Oct 12, 2018
MY Sears Road talker places a carrier on SSB More on LSB then USB. I hear a hum from the speaker when I transmit. Any Ideas?
Thanks!

First thing I want to know when this happens is what an external counter reads.

I always have a counter in line with the radio's output. If the frequency is almost the same as the channel frequency it shows in AM mode, that points to the radio's sideband modulator and audio circuits.

If the frequency is way out in left field, not anywhere near your channel frequency this means the radio's final and/or driver section is oscillating. When this happens, the frequency of the carrier is not controlled by the channel selector.

Loose ground screws around the edge of the main circuit board can do this.

And it could be that the power supply has a problem when the transmitter loads it down. If the power supply has what they like to call "hum", or AC ripple, this can get into the radio's mike-audio circuit.

Do you have another radio you can use to listen to this one and see what you hear when the Roadtalker transmits on sideband?

When you check this I would also not use a power mic and turn the mic gain all the way down. Sometimes when you key up but don't speak on SSB background noise can appear as a small carrier.

"A hum from the speaker when I transmit" - this could get interesting.

Got any history on that radio?

Like...

Was Dads, resurrecting it from an cleaning out an attic... (Family Heirloom)

OR

Found on eBay so I bid on it...(Wanted a challenge)

Or something g even more exotic like...

Bought this old Chevy and right underneath the seat was this...(Police are on their way..)

To help us help you, is there something more - like even a model number?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.