• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sears Roadtaker 40 SSB Base Station Model (934.38270700) Works but No Mic.

metalguy66

Aug 3, 2022
Roadtalker 40 SSB Base 934.38270700

The seller says they can hear local radio traffic coming across loud & clear even with no antenna attached.

A little bit of info on this model:

These are great radios. I have one. These were sold around 1978, built by Hitachi for Sears (and JC Penny as well). Great build quality and easy to work on. The VFO is based on the SM5104 PLL chip. There were lots of mods in the old magazines for these radios. Plenty of room inside too.

The internal 13.8VDC regulated PSU is a little on the weak side and most people reccomend using an external supply. I rebuilt the supply in mine and it does 4w full modulation AM and 12w side-band nice & clear without dimming the meter backlight. If you're gonna "Peak & Tune" it for barefoot transmitting, you want an external supply. Sears uses the same mic connector (5-pin DIN) & pinout as Radio Shack. You can get an aftermarket mic for $20 or an adaptor to 4-pin for $10.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rwb

Roadtalker 40 SSB Base 934.38270700

The seller says they can hear local radio traffic coming across loud & clear even with no antenna attached.

A little bit of info on this model:

These are great radios. I have one. These were sold around 1978, built by Hitachi for Sears (and JC Penny as well). Great build quality and easy to work on. The VFO is based on the SM5104 PLL chip. There were lots of mods in the old magazines for these radios. Plenty of room inside too.

The internal 13.8VDC regulated PSU is a little on the weak side and most people reccomend using an external supply. I rebuilt the supply in mine and it does 4w full modulation AM and 12w side-band nice & clear without dimming the meter backlight. If you're gonna "Peak & Tune" it for barefoot transmitting, you want an external supply. Sears uses the same mic connector (5-pin DIN) & pinout as Radio Shack. You can get an aftermarket mic for $20 or an adaptor to 4-pin for $10.
i got a slant face road talker, channel mods done to it. works fine and is well built n very HEAVY. need to source a 12v cord for it some day. got a turner+3 mic wired for it and the original coffin mic also

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?