• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Seeking Schematic for SuperStar SS-3000HP

Tweek

Hushpuppy Jr in the Tarheel
Nov 10, 2013
Youngsville, NC
www.wb4iuy.net
I have a SuperStar SS-3000HP that I've struck out finding the schematic for. The board is EPT300010A.AM rx audio, almost none. The RX is working well, all the way through the rx to the detector, S-meter shows good sensitivity. FM mode works fine, great rx audio. Seems to be something from the detector to the audio amp stage that not shared with FM. I've searched the web and come up nil. Does anyone have a schematic for this critter?

Tnx
Dave

Thanks for those links. I had found all but the last one, no schematic seems to exist on the web...at least, not that I can find :-(. I've compared it to every schematic I could find, but nothing seems even similar. I'll keep digging, if anyone out there has an idea on a schematic, I'd appreciate any help. Thanks for trying, freecell!

Dave

Reactions: freecell
When that radio appeared on the market we pestered everyone I could think of for a diagram. Figured maybe Lou Franklin would have a connection. Never heard back from him on the subject.

Would appear that these many years later it's still an orphan, just like it was 20-odd years ago.

Never a good sign when a gargle search turns up only other folks asking the same question that you are. And nobody answering it.

Reactions: Tweek
When that radio appeared on the market we pestered everyone I could think of for a diagram. Figured maybe Lou Franklin would have a connection. Never heard back from him on the subject.

Would appear that these many years later it's still an orphan, just like it was 20-odd years ago.

Never a good sign when a gargle search turns up only other folks asking the same question that you are. And nobody answering it.

Sure seems that way. I've traced detected AM rx audio around the board, found some similarities in how it's muted when the mode is switched to FM. Worked my way through the board last night and am at the lm324 now. I suspect that's just AGC. Since the S-meter is responding well and sensitivity is good, I doubt that has anything to do with where the detected AM audio is switched to the audio amp path in the AM mode. Will probably drop in another 324 today and just see, but I think I need to look elsewhere.

Dave

One little bit I just stumbled upon while looking at other radios' schematics...the Connex 4300 looks very similar in the detector & discriminator circuits, including the quad op-amp for agc and a final AM rx audio amp/buffer. Digging into the a bit more, now.

Dave

Boy, this radio is a mix of several other rigs..

Yep. Built by RCI, same as Galaxy/Ranger/Connex radios. Uses the circuit those other radios use as the AM modulator but only to control carrier level. The modulation audio comes from an enormous transformer driven by push-pull audio power chips.

When it's right, it's an audio monster.

When it breaks, it might as well be a chinese puzzle.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.