• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sending my Yaesu VX-8r in for repair

they probably turned it on for a few minutes, pushed a few buttons, did not see the problem, so sent it back. if you're lucky, they cleaned the battery connectors...

Well I talked to Stephanie at Yaesu this afternoon and she said that my radio had been fixed and she was waiting on a tracking number. Hopefully it went out today and will make it back to me Friday (probably Monday). it will be interesting to see what was wrong with it but Stephanie said that there was 3 hours worth of repair made to the radio. It had never been dropped nor mistreated so I am wondering what I did to the radio. She did also say that there was information about the type of repair in the box with my Radio. I will report further when I have it back in my hot little hand.

Side note..... when I was being transfered to the repair department I talked to a tech who actually worked for the Vertex repair side of the house (transfered there by mistake) He asked how I like the radio, my impressions and whether or not I had replaced the "poor excuse for an antenna" that came with it. I told him my likes and dislikes and he asked specifically about RT Systems software. I told him I had it and liked the software and that I had replaced my antenna with a comet ht-224. not sure what that is worth other than maybe the tech's really are interested in the radio's and how they are used...

I have had my VX-8R back twice now for the same thing. I posted a thread about my first service and the outcome was positive but less than a month later I had the same issue happen. What was happening was very low and noisy receive. Front end overload? Both times the same transistor was replaced (2SC5555ZD-TR) and the last service a diode was replaced as well (1SS314). The technician that worked on my radio called me up when he finished working on it and asked if I was in any high RF area. I have not been in any area like that, matter of fact I live in a rural area and work in a small town. He had mentioned that the VX-8R had a very sensitive front end and to watch where I operate from. So far I am going on 10 trouble free days.

Side note..... when I was being transfered to the repair department I talked to a tech who actually worked for the Vertex repair side of the house (transfered there by mistake) He asked how I like the radio, my impressions and whether or not I had replaced the "poor excuse for an antenna" that came with it. I told him my likes and dislikes and he asked specifically about RT Systems software. I told him I had it and liked the software and that I had replaced my antenna with a comet ht-224. not sure what that is worth other than maybe the tech's really are interested in the radio's and how they are used...

He probably is just a ham op himself and is considering purchasing one using his "employee discount" :tongue:

Well I got my HT back today. Looks like they really logged some hours fixing it. Unfortunatly it doesnt say what they did... but it sounds great adn I am back getting great signal reports. Even found myself on aprs.fi...... I didnt get a post card from Yaesu but I got a letter from them yesterday saying that there was no charge for the repair. There was the same letter in the box I recieved back today....
we shall see how well it holds up....
chris

Since I got mine back it has not "rebooted" a single time. I'll keep an update here over the next few weeks.

Since I got mine back it has not "rebooted" a single time. I'll keep an update here over the next few weeks

Maybe I wasn't very clear...the problem was that it would randomly reboot on it's own. It's not doing it now. But I have now way of knowing if it was a faulty device or if it was something I introduced with the RT Systems programming. I also re-programmed it when I got it back from Yaesu.

So Funny thing... I sent my radio into Vertex adn got it back last week. Today I got their postcard in the mail saying they received it.... Hey at least they sent it. BTW the radio is working great!

So how long did it take to get it back after you sent the radios into Vertex? I am waiting for a good time to send mine in because it "pops" every few button clicks when the RX Save feature is On.

Does anyone know how to change the internal battery on the vx8. Every time I change the main battery I have to redo the time. I don't loose and channels that I have programmed just the clock needs to be redone

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated