• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Seriously

KF7MYK

Mar 22, 2011
Dayton, NV
Why are there 10 year old posts on here?

Anyway are there any new sat guys out there? Have heard some lateley, I am still pretty new myself. Just thought I would try to get some people on the early morning passes, pretty much garanteed to make a contact then.

Probly be banned by the regulars for this, but oh well. :)

Do you throw old books out of your local Library?

Do you watch reruns on TV.

Do you watch the movie channel?

There is a good repository of knowledge to be read here by new members.

No one is forcing you to read 10 year old threads.

There. Now do you feel suitably thrashed and get my point? :D

Wow

Yes I am thrashed. I guess I am not used to navigating around on here.

Did that guy say that talking on sats was lame?

Wow again, maybe I do like this forum.

Yes he said lame. :D

You are new here and I offer the following advice:
Lots of good folks here with a wealth of knowledge to share.
They will also hand you your ass from time to time if you act the fool.

Welcome, by the way.

Why do you talk using a satellite? seems almost like using a repeater and calling it dx, lame-o

Actually, satellite comms aren't as easy as using a repeater since you're trying to hit a moving target. Same thing applies to meteor scatter comms. It may be lame to some, but for others it can be fun and rewarding. Different strokes for different folks. ;)

Actually, satellite comms aren't as easy as using a repeater since you're trying to hit a moving target. Same thing applies to meteor scatter comms. It may be lame to some, but for others it can be fun and rewarding. Different strokes for different folks. ;)

Bounce a wave off the moon, now that's a slow moving satellite anyone can hit.:whistle:

Bounce a wave off the moon, now that's a slow moving satellite anyone can hit.:whistle:

Hitting it is the easy part. Hitting it with enough power to be reflected back strong enough to be heard and having a sensitive enough receiver to actually detect it over the quarter-million mile path is the hard part. Signals reflected from the surface of the moon are far from sounding like regular DX signals. In fact phone signals are almost never used due to their wide bandwidth and CW signals are often distorted and raspy. It does indeed take a bit more than dropping the maul to work EME. :whistle:

Hitting it is the easy part. Hitting it with enough power to be reflected back strong enough to be heard and having a sensitive enough receiver to actually detect it over the quarter-million mile path is the hard part. Signals reflected from the surface of the moon are far from sounding like regular DX signals. In fact phone signals are almost never used due to their wide bandwidth and CW signals are often distorted and raspy. It does indeed take a bit more than dropping the maul to work EME. :whistle:

I bet it could be done with the now famous "Muadulator" :D

Hitting it with enough power to be reflected back strong enough to be heard and having a sensitive enough receiver to actually detect it over the quarter-million mile path is the hard part.

One way.

Full path is about a half million miles.:D

EME

One of these years I will have the equipment to do that. I am pretty new, however enthusiastic, and I am sure it will take time to learn and explore all the areas of this hobby.

I do like this forum, just didnt know how to use it...A little more "Raspy" than the AMSAT-BB!

but it doesn't have to deal with spherical conditions so isn't it unimpeded in it's path there and back?

Reflectivity of the moon is only 7% at best and normal free space path losses apply.These losses go up as the freq is increased but on 2m the total path loss is around 258 dB. Figure that you have 258 dB loss on TX, only 7% of what actually hits the moon is reflected, and another 258 dB loss on return and you have an extremely weak signal to try and recover.

EME path loss calculator EME Path Loss

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio