• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Setting Tower base with EPF

3strucking

Aug 7, 2010
Has anyone used expanding polyurethane foam to set a tower base with? I watched a you tube video from a company called Secure Set Products that installed a rohn 45 tower with it. They then used a crane to pull the tower tip 6 foot past plumb, which was more than spec called for. It held up fine with no movement in the base. I was considering using this product to put up a 50 foot rohn 45 tower. I dont know if it will hold up as long as concrete but the video looked promising.

Thats a pretty interesting video there. If it does work save lots of time and effort. I could see where in a situation not getting a concrete truck to the tower base this would be ideal.

I put 5 yards of concrete in the foundation of my 45g tower and am satisfied with that. I haven't saw that stuff before this post. I am just saying if works it would be a good deal lol.

We occasionally use pole foam at work. We use 2 part Rainbow brand. It's very impressive for what it is. If you attempt to pull a foamed pole it will break off at the ground..guaranteed. It's not something we use everyday but it has its place. Same hole setting or straightening or if your limited on backfill dirt/rock. Something that should maybe have a down guy that engineering doesn't think you need...etc

2 tips: Keep it in the cab of your truck in the winter to speed curing. DO NOT get it on your clothes when mixing.. trust me.

This is a video I found from another manufacturer showing its strength.

I would still prefer my towers in concrete.. just saying

I am seeing it used for setting/holding direct burial light poles on commercial jobs. Usually enough to hold the tapered poles plumb then they backfill with crushed stone.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I go through 2 or 3 5 gallon buckets of each base and 2lb activator per year filling the shells we have our antenna elements in, and once it expands, sets up and hardens, it is impervious to most solvents. I used some today, in fact.
The expand-a-foam can (forget the name) they sell at Home Depot or Lowes is similar, but you don't have o mix that like I do with the 2 part. Unsure of the tensile strength of the expand-a-foam, though.

That's some interesting expanding foam. Kind of makes you want to use someone some kind of a small project. Thanks for sharing

I have seen two-part expanding foam used in a couple of other applications that some may not be aware of -

- stop/slow water seepage in below grade excavations (I was supt on largest excavation in San Francisco history in 2014-2016, lots of water intrusion)

- form driver specific seats in race cars (I have worked on nitro funny cars and dragsters)

My $.02

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated