• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Shakespeare antenna

Robalo

Aug 21, 2006
California
how do you tune this antenna ? thank you. 73s.

SHAKESPEARE ABS-1600 BASE ANTENNA

Shakespeare ABS-1600 Base Antenna
Built to Military Specs
Power, 4000 Watts PEP ICAS
Bandwidth, 26-28.5MHz at 1.9:1 or Le
Relative Gain, 12.5 dBi
Length, 21' NM (3pc) (UPS)
Electrical, 50 hm Coaxial 5/8 Wave
HV Protection, 14.5 KV
Mounting, 2 U-Bolts Supplied

Robalo,
I've tried to find information about this antenna on the internet and can't seem to find anything except negative comments. 'SHAKESPEARE's web site has no information that I can find about this antenna at all. From what little I can gather from both the manufacturor's web site and from others, there isn't any 'built-in' means of tunning it, a tuner has to be used.
From several comments on 'eHam' it's not exactly well thought of (except by one ham). And from my general experience with 'SHAKESPEARE' I just don't think I'd want any part of it. They've started changing their advertising a bit too. Not as much 'fertilizer' as there used to be. That means that the "12.5 dBi" thingy is gone, which is good because it's absolute 'B.S.' to start with. Actual gain is much closer to "1.2 dBi" if that much (typical for any 5/8 wave antenna).
Not much help, sorry 'bout that...
- 'Doc

there is no tuning needed. you just throw it up there and start talking. allthough its lowest swr will be bellow ch1. it will stay bellow 1.5 well above and bellow the regular 40.

it is built much better than the antrons or imax's internal and external.
not the best antenna but far from the worst.

If this is the GREEN ABS-1600, I'll buy it! I really want one of these antennas! If anyone knows or has one new in the box, please contact me! Thanks!

Shakespeare ABS-1600 Base Antenna :

This pricey 5/8 wave vertical base antenna was also known as the Army Big Stick. This base antenna was camouflage green in color and Shakespeare erroneously advertised and claimed it had a 12.5 dbi gain.

After owning two of these "clunkers" I would have to honestly say that this was the "worst" CB base antenna I have ever owned. The much cheaper A99 1/2 wave vertical base antenna outperformed the ABS 1600 by a country mile. The A99 had superior TX/RX and much lower SWR's.

I guess thats why this "clunker" is no longer manufactured.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on May 29, 2006............

I use a Pogo Stick. I hear some knock them but mine works great. Going to a beam and a Maco 5/8 in the spring but mine talks great. Its a 10 meter antenna but tunes fine!

I am using one of these ABS 1600's right now. I replaced a Antron 99 about 9 months ago and what a world of difference! There is no tuning necessary and my swr's are low! Just screwed it together and put it on the roof. Much better RX and TX. I have heard many negative comments on the antenna but my experience and two other operators in the area have had great luck with ours. Can be used on 10 and 12 meter also. My 2 cents.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.