• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Shelby Hamfest 2013

Sniper308

Mar 13, 2013
Columbia, SC
Well I recently got my technician and general class ham ticket. I've been using a Icom 2820 2m/70cm dual band radio in my home as a base. I have been looking for a HF base rig for the house and decided to go to the HAMFEST in Shelby NC Saturday.I had already made up my mind that I would like to find a Yaesu 897d. I looked and looked and looked. I was getting very disappointed as this being my first Hamfest, I thought it would be newer model radios everywhere. I was even hoping that Yaesu or Icom would have their own booths there selling new radios. I was mistaken. Most of what I saw was OLD,OLD,OLD world war 2 looking radios and tables full of junk parts that looked like they had been taken out of some of those OLD,OLD,OLD WW2 radios. Most of the new items were Yaesu 2m mobile radios and a bunch of Handi-Talkies neither of which is what I was looking for.

After walking around for what seemed like an eternity I finally found a man selling an ICOM IC-7000 with a LDG tuner made for the IC-7000, and the separation kit as a bundle. I grabbed for it at the same time that another guy tried to grab it. I beat him by a mere millisecond. I picked up an all band DIPOLE antenna and a Opek 1501 mobile antenna for 2m/70cm and headed for the exit.

I have the IC-7000 set up and working great as my new base radio. I will say that it is a very advanced radio and I am still trying to figure out some of the menus and workings of it. The DIPOLE is up in the backyard and I am receiving and transmitting on all bands very well. That tuner is awesome. Just hit the tune button on the radio and SHAZAM. I love it.

The IC-2820 is now mounted in my truck and Im loving having it in there. The Opek antenna is working beyond my expectations as SWR is low across both bands and Im talking all over the place on 2m using all the repeaters here in my area.

Man Ham Radio sure beats the hell out of CB. The only thing I keep asking myself now is why did it take so long to make the change.

Im looking for an external monitor for the IC-7000. If anyone can suggest a particular one please let me know. Ive looked online but Im not sure what type of connection I need on the monitor. Id like something 7-9 inches preferably with some sort of stand.

walmart USED to sell a small monitor for $49. HiTEC followed by PEGASUS brands. they are exactly the same, just a different name. I think they don't stock them anymore.

the guy on QTH.com sells the same monitor for about $100.

I just bought an Mobile (automotive) DVD player @ Walmart for $69 and it has a player with a 7 inch screen and a second screen also. I just used the spare monitor, so I have a spare DVD player with a monitor. it does not have a 12Vdc wallwort, but I just wired it to my power supply.

the model # is DRC69705E. it is made by RCA. it comes with a 3 way (red, white, yellow) cord with RCA jacks on both ends. I didn't use it and made a cord with a yellow RCA jack on one end for the monitor and a mono plug on the other end for the 7K.

I wouldn't go much over 7 inches, the resolution will not be very good.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.