• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

shock from mic

mele

Jan 18, 2009
I have a new Connex 4600 with a Astatic mic.

If I turn the tx pwr up past say about 60-70% I get a lil shock from the spring at the base of the Astatic mic.

What could be the cause of this?

TIA

Mel

Yep, the old ground snap. Between that and getting a mustache whisker caught in the screen those mics can inflict some pain ! :blink::D

"getting a mustache whisker caught in the screen those mics can inflict some pain ! :blink::D"
That's a great one Ron! Can't say I've been there done that;Thankfully.LOL!!!
OUCH.....
But anyways,sounds like a proper diagnosis to me guys!
Slim.

A high swr/reflected wattage problem can cause a serious shock also, such as the center conductor of the coax to the antenna not making proper contact to the antenna.

There are several ways this can happen, pl-259's not soldered on properly or I have seen a cheaper coax actually burn off inside at the pl-259 or just not make contact where it slides into the pl-239.

Another is the center conductor has broken somewhere in the coax other than at the ends.

Last but probably most important is a mistuned antenna, did you check to see if you still had an antenna? maybe someone stole it,lol never hurts to check. :laugh:

"getting a mustache whisker caught in the screen those mics can inflict some pain ! :blink::D"
That's a great one Ron! Can't say I've been there done that;Thankfully.LOL!!!
OUCH.....

I have ! And the bad part about it is you don't know it till you KNOW it !:blink: LOL !

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.