• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Should I put the 102 back on?

Ha. I don't drive a Volvo by choice, either, lol.

I intend a vertical dipole antenna setup, similar to what the OP has done, just on the back. That way, the grounding isn't an issue. I've never been able to achieve decent grounding, anyway; which is why I tried the dipole setup, to begin with.

I would like to find a way to get the coax in, without going through the door, so I am certainly open to, and appreciative of, any suggestions.

Yeah, I doubt I'll ever run out past Denver with this company anyway.

That being said, I'd wonder if the whip would even show up on a security cam.

I have been through that tunnel a couple of times, though, the overheight sensors were nothing special, the same units in use at virtually every weigh station I've been to, in all 48, and the same as those before the bridge on Brady St. in Davenport.

The PA 'Pike tunnels are 13'9" if memory serves me correctly, I do go through those fairly regularly and have never noticed the whip scraping the roof of those tunnels.

As for a Volvo, there should be no need for a vertical dipole. Those trucks have steel cabs, only the roof cap is fiberglass on those.

Saw what appeared to be a 102" whip on the MSP car the other day while passing thru. Didn't know they still ran them.

File photo:

maxresdefault.jpg

Ha. I don't drive a Volvo by choice, either, lol.

I intend a vertical dipole antenna setup, similar to what the OP has done, just on the back. That way, the grounding isn't an issue. I've never been able to achieve decent grounding, anyway; which is why I tried the dipole setup, to begin with.

I would like to find a way to get the coax in, without going through the door, so I am certainly open to, and appreciative of, any suggestions.
To get the coax outside all you need to do is remove the left skirt (battery access side)for easy access. Look underneath the cab behind where the drivers seat is and you will see some wires going into a large rubber boot. You easily pull the boot down and there is a 3 inch factory formed entry hole there. I run RG213 coax and 4 guage battery leads thru that hole. You really don't need the boot back on just slip it down over the cables.

To get to the cables inside the cab just remove the plastic door threshold by accessing the 4 torx screws underneath the plastic screw cover caps. This lets you lift the floormat enough to reach the coax.

You can now easily hide the coax under the floormat and route it up in the corner of the dash and along side top of the dash to your radio. There is enough of a gap to neatly hide the coax in the corner between the cab and the dash.

I would think 21ft. of coax would make it but the length starts to shorten with every turn during routing. Better off if you make your own coax and solder the ends after routing. Be sure to use zip ties under the cab to keep from sagging and to keep it neat.

You can now easily put an inverter in the cabinet on the drivers side since the batteries are right under you. That cabinet has no back so just simply slip the battery cables around it.

I have an inverter and my HF amplifier hidden away in that cabinet. My amp has a remote switch so I have easy access to it plus my inverter has Bluetooth remote so I can control it with my phone.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Slowmover
To get the coax outside all you need to do is remove the left skirt (battery access side)for easy access. Look underneath the cab behind where the drivers seat is and you will see some wires going into a large rubber boot. You easily pull the boot down and there is a 3 inch factory formed entry hole there. I run RG213 coax and 4 guage battery leads thru that hole. You really don't need the boot back on just slip it down over the cables.

To get to the cables inside the cab just remove the plastic door threshold by accessing the 4 torx screws underneath the plastic screw cover caps. This lets you lift the floormat enough to reach the coax.

You can now easily hide the coax under the floormat and route it up in the corner of the dash and along side top of the dash to your radio. There is enough of a gap to neatly hide the coax in the corner between the cab and the dash.

I would think 21ft. of coax would make it but the length starts to shorten with every turn during routing. Better off if you make your own coax and solder the ends after routing. Be sure to use zip ties under the cab to keep from sagging and to keep it neat.

You can now easily put an inverter in the cabinet on the drivers side since the batteries are right under you. That cabinet has no back so just simply slip the battery cables around it.

I have an inverter and my HF amplifier hidden away in that cabinet. My amp has a remote switch so I have easy access to it plus my inverter has Bluetooth remote so I can control it with my phone.

Hope that helps.

I’d wondered how you did it!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated