• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Should I put the 102 back on?

sirio has some really great offerings.... I use a sirio performer magmount.. they have one for about any application/mounting... they do it all very well and will handle the power..xxx

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
You have the mount in the right place to do it. Your overall height will be pushing just over 14 ft.

The only place I would be concerned is if you run I-70 between Denver and Grand Junction Co. The Eisenhower tunnel has strict height requirements and you will trip the sensors and be red lighted before the tunnel entrance. That is a 24/7 manned watch station and they take that tunnel seriously.

If you happen to travel that route, simply take off the 102 whip long before you get there.

@dieseldriver ; I see that you've got a similar antenna setup to mine. Does that bottom antenna have a tendency to beat against the side of the truck in high winds? My antennas are currently mounted on the top bar of my Volvo mirror bracket, with the bottom antenna lashed to the bottom bar of the bracket, to prevent it from banging against the truck (which would thoroughly annoy my wife)

I have also noted a loud hum coming from the antenna when traveling at approximately 40mph, lol. This DOES annoy the wife.

A steel whip won't trip the overheight sensors. they are set with a minimum beam interruption time so that there aren't false activations due to birds, insects, etc. flying through the beam.

The 102 on the roof of my car hits the bridge on Brady St. in downtown Davenport, IA, but it does not trip the overheight sensors.

DX Wyoming to Virginia and Maine. Barefoot Cobra 29 with the stock 2078, tuned by Q5.

Local 10+ miles with bad noise issues with the truck on a barefoot Uniden PC122 tuned by Q5. could barely pull the guy in over the severe noise but he had no problem hearing me.

Last edited:
A steel whip won't trip the overheight sensors. they are set with a minimum beam
I wouldn't be so sure about that if you try to go thru Eisenhower tunnel if you travel out that way. You'll find out if you do.

Also if you do clear the sensors there are cameras all through the tunnel and if you get seen scraping the top are wacking the overhead signs, I'd expect a roadside visit from the Colorado State patrol.

The tunnel clearence last time I went thru there was 13 "11. With your vehicle in motion that 102 whip exceeds that.

Elsewhere around the country I wouldn't be too concerned about it other than whacking bridges back east and tree branches driving through cities.

You may want to consider using an extension bracket to get the height down just under 14 ft. I did this when I ran a 102 whip on my truck after getting annoyed hitting over passes at highway speeds.

Just friendly advice from a fellow driver.

Reactions: Slowmover
Here is a pic of my last truck with a a Sirio 5000 trucker series and a 36 inch extension. The setup worked real good right up to the time I got struck by lightning and actually seared the whip right off along with all kinds of other electrical and electronic damage.

full.jpg

I was actually thinking of mounting my 102's from the grab bars on the back ferrings of my Volvo, and letting the antennas stick up about a foot over the top of the whole rig. If I flip the grab bars over, they should stick out from the sides of the truck.

It's just the coax that's going to be obnoxious. I won't be able to find the proper coax in truck stops, so I will have to order it. At the rate that I come home, it will be a while before I ever get it.

The whole coax length debate is annoying, too. Folks on both sides of the debate point to the same ARRL publication as justification for their stance, so I don't know what to believe on it.

I was actually thinking of mounting my 102's from the grab bars on the back ferrings of my Volvo, and letting the antennas stick up about a foot over the top of the whole rig. If I flip the grab bars over, they should stick out from the sides of the truck.

It's just the coax that's going to be obnoxious. I won't be able to find the proper coax in truck stops, so I will have to order it. At the rate that I come home, it will be a while before I ever get it.

The whole coax length debate is annoying, too. Folks on both sides of the debate point to the same ARRL publication as justification for their stance, so I don't know what to believe on it.
Those grab handles on the fairings aren't attached to metal so your antenna wont be much grounded. See if you can get a 3 ft or less flat braided ground strap and bond it to any bolt going to metal on the lower cab section. I've found them at NAPA auto parts. Also DX engineering sells them.

Your coax lengths need to be long enough to go from the radio to the antenna. Except for special instances, antennas aren't tuned with coax.

If you need tips on safely running coax to the outside without drilling holes I know theses Volvos very well and been driving them for over 20 years.(not by choice)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated