• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Shure 527b microphone to 4 pin cobra.

SMILEX2692002

Oct 26, 2011
Picked one of these up new.
Will be here tomorrow.
Anyone use one before?
Heard they are a very nice sounding Mic.
Was recommended by the Tech at Ranger warranty repair in California.
Will be wiring to a 4 pin cobra plug to use with my mic adapters for Kenwood, Ranger, and 5 pin Cobra radios.

most mics come wired with a 4 pin for cobra, galaxy's etc unless some one cut the end off.

Good Quality "STUDIO" Microphones do NOT come wired for CB's.
Most Quality Microphones are wired with 3 pin XLR jacks.
They do not even have PTT switches.
There are some Heil models do incorporate PTT switches, however they require 4 pin XLR's.
I have never, nor will you ever see a Quality Studio microphone ever wired for Cobra's/Rangers from the Factory:LOL:. Why bother...
You will have to buy adaptor kits and have PTT details done after purchase.:whistle:
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Ummm....Hey Gary; think you jumped the gun and ran to a conclusion here.
This is the mic:

b4c74965-f41c-41f8-87f5-93aa1f658db8-000001.png

BTW, it isn't hard for anyone to wire up a PTT switch.
My smart dog can do it lol.

Quite Shure I would own/use a Shure or EV mic before I would use a Heil.

Heil mics aren't bad; but they Shure aren't a Shure or EV.

Last edited:
These style mics do not have a receive control wire and will not work on a Cobra without modification of the wiring inside the mic. Most have the extra normally closed contact on the switch but nothing wired to it.

These style mics do not have a receive control wire and will not work on a Cobra without modification of the wiring inside the mic. Most have the extra normally closed contact on the switch but nothing wired to it.

Yup, like the 29 and the like, Uniden AM radios, and 148GTL/5 pin; it won't work w/o a slight mod to the radio.
Should be OK with a Galaxy, Connex, Magnum, or Ranger.

Yup, like the 29 and the like, Uniden AM radios, and 148GTL/5 pin; it won't work w/o a slight mod to the radio.
Should be OK with a Galaxy, Connex, Magnum, or Ranger.

Not a issue for me since I purchased it to use on a TS-480,TS-2000, and Ranger 2950dx. I also have a old Cobra 142 gtl. If I have to modify the radio just to use the Shure mic with it I will not waste my time. My trusty old Silver eagle sounds just fine on the 142.
I have a pigtail made up for the other three radios to accept a 4 pin cobra mic plug.
Its much easier this way for me.
I was also under the impression the Shure microphone would come without a connector on the end from talking to the company I bought it from.

Ummm....Hey Gary; think you jumped the gun and ran to a conclusion here.
This is the mic:

b4c74965-f41c-41f8-87f5-93aa1f658db8-000001.png

BTW, it isn't hard for anyone to wire up a PTT switch.
My smart dog can do it lol.

Quite Shure I would own/use a Shure or EV mic before I would use a Heil.

Heil mics aren't bad; but they Shure aren't a Shure or EV.

Since I'm wiring this to a 4 pic cobra style plug and looking at the manual for the 527b mic I think I only need to use pin 1,2, and 3 for a Ranger 2950/Kenwood TS-480/TS-2000 radio. My pig tail adapters for each radio will do the rest.
What I come up with if correct?
Pin 1- shield.
Pin 2-audio + white wire
Pin 3-TX (audio -) green wire

Since I'm wiring this to a 4 pic cobra style plug and looking at the manual for the 527b mic I think I only need to use pin 1,2, and 3 for a Ranger 2950/Kenwood TS-480/TS-2000 radio. My pig tail adapters for each radio will do the rest.
What I come up with if correct?
Pin 1- shield.
Pin 2-audio + white wire
Pin 3-TX (audio -) green wire

Better check your pin set-up and exact configuration of your adapters..
I am seeing Pin (1) as Audio in... for Kenwood TS-2000...even using a 4 pin/to 8 adapter... Pin (1) Old KWD 4pin/is also Audio

date

See link

All the Best
Gary

Better check your pin set-up and exact configuration of your adapters..
I am seeing Pin (1) as Audio in... for Kenwood TS-2000...even using a 4 pin/to 8 adapter... Pin (1) Old KWD 4pin/is also Audio

date

See link

All the Best
Gary

My adapters work just fine and only except a 4 pin uniden/cobra type wiring of the microphone being used with them.

The question I have is only wiring the new Shure microphone to a 4 pin uniden/cobra based on the information from the Shure manual.

If you look on that sheet, you'll see there's a pole on the PTT switch that doesn't have a wire attached. This pole needs a wire installed and that goes to pin 4 on a 4 pin cobra plug. This allows the radio to receive with the mic plugged in. Also, the wire that comes off the mic element that goes to the white wire in the diagram needs to be cut from the white wire and soldered to the pole with the red wire. This will allow the white wire to be freed up to be used on the non-connected pole for the receive pin on the mic plug (pin 4).

When the above is done, wiring goes as follows:

Pin 1) Red wire (common or ground)
Pin 2) Green wire (audio)
Pin 3) Black wire (Transmit)
Pin 4) White wire (Receive)

Hope this helps!

~Cheers~

If you look on that sheet, you'll see there's a pole on the PTT switch that doesn't have a wire attached. This pole needs a wire installed and that goes to pin 4 on a 4 pin cobra plug. This allows the radio to receive with the mic plugged in. Also, the wire that comes off the mic element that goes to the white wire in the diagram needs to be cut from the white wire and soldered to the pole with the red wire. This will allow the white wire to be freed up to be used on the non-connected pole for the receive pin on the mic plug (pin 4).

When the above is done, wiring goes as follows:

Pin 1) Red wire (common or ground)
Pin 2) Green wire (audio)
Pin 3) Black wire (Transmit)
Pin 4) White wire (Receive)

I'm not certain that this is the way to go. The unused pin on the PTT switch is in the section that switches the mike audio. Rewiring it as EXIT13 suggests will connect the receive line to ground through the mike element.. It's possible that the current flowing through this ground circuit (even though it's very small) could cause problems with the element itself. But then again ... maybe not. 73s.

You're 100% correct. The black wire off the mic element should be swapped with the red wire on the PTT switch, and the black wire on the PTT switch should be swapped with the green wire on the PTT switch. In the end it should look like the drawing below.

Don't know what I was thinking when I made the first post at the time. Oops.

Thanks for the correction! :D

~Cheers~

IMG_20140605_095736_077_zps3fe9e66c.jpg

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.