• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Side-band radio question...

Steve H

Oct 31, 2010
I am currently using a Cobra 29 ltd radio, with a good antenna. I was wondering if I should "move up" to a side-band cb radio? Will the increase in wattage and side-band increase my abilitly to talk to base stations? Forgive me if these are simple questions. I really am looking at buying a ssb mobile.:blush:

Sorry Steven, I didnt mean to have you all confused and I have deleted this in hopes you get your answer in the punctuation that you need to understand it. Again Im truly sorry and I hope you can sort these replies out and seek whatever it is your looking for.

Last edited:
A radio isnt a radio if you dont have SSB if you wanna talk DX (shoot skip) then give SSB a try as far as talking DX you will be hooked its alot of fun and the new Skip cycle is going to start in the not to far future here so get a head start anf get a radio setup and get to know and understand it.

As far as power it depends what you get for a radio single final radios such as Cobra 148GTL or Uniden Grant will get you 20 watts give or take a dual final 10 meter eadio well those are capable of pretty good output it all depends what you want to do and what you want to spend.

You can get alot more distance off a stock SSB radio on a normal basis that you will on an AM rig.
i appreciate the reply and periods and commas would help me to understand your response better and i did have a Uniden
Zachary and thanks for your response and maytheforcebewithyou.

There are differences in the capabilities of different modes, AM, SSB, FM, whatever. Each have aspects that may be of more interest to some people, and then there are 'draw backs' to all of them. One aspect of SSB is that it does have more 'range' than the same amount of power used by AM does. Could it make it easier to talk to different stations? Sure, but at the same time, if those other stations don't have SSB capability, it stops your talking to them too.
Power can be measured in different ways and still be the exact same amount of power no matter what the 'numbers' say. A stock SSB radio doesn't put out any more power than an AM stock radio does, it's just in a different form which can make a different in particular ways, more 'range' for instance.
Sure, more power can certainly make a difference, but in general, it's a loosing proposition. Mainly because of the price, and forgetting about the legality of it. To realize -any- benefit from an increase in power, you have to double the amount of power. How far can you take that before your wallet starts screaming? There are diminishing returns, it's not a 'cure all' by any means.
- 'Doc

(If you think you might like to have SSB ability, then why not? Don't think you'd like it or use it? Then why bother.)

I am currently using a Cobra 29 ltd radio, with a good antenna. I was wondering if I should "move up" to a side-band cb radio? Will the increase in wattage and side-band increase my abilitly to talk to base stations? Forgive me if these are simple questions. I really am looking at buying a ssb mobile.:blush:

I can remember a time when all I used to use was AM mode on CB. I still do from time time; but I am mostly on sideband any more. Why? There are a few reasons. The first reason is a different class of people on sideband. They are more interested in radio principles and are a little easier to talk to - making more contact. I'm not being snobby; they are just a bit more of a 'laid back' kind of crowd overall. I've learned a lot more about radio by using sideband. That's my opinion - yes.

Second, When one talks on AM; the AM carrier makes horrible sounds that blocks out many signal altogether. On sideband, you can hear several signals happening at the same time. It makes it a little easier to hear more. Unless someone uses AM on a sideband channel - which can be annoying when their carrier is heard along with their modulation. Not a real problem; I just stay on the sideband channels most of the time anyway. AM is a little noisier than SSB is - overall. SSB signals just seem to jump up out of nowhere and can be called back with greater ease. Even very weak signals. My experience.

Third, many other countries seem to use sideband more often than AM, so there are more potential contacts to be made. IF that is what you want to do.

The learning curve to use the radio in sideband mode isn't hard. It really helps t have a decent radio though; a radio that 'drifts' too much on SSB should be avoided. But to get the most out of it, a beam antenna is key. Power isn't as important, you can work the world on a beam antenna and a 30 watt radio. You would be surprised to find out how many people have done just that. Again, if that is what you want to do. AM can be used to talk skip; but I can think of more times that I was able to talk farther with SSB on the same radio than I did with it in AM mode. Even with a vertical antenna - it still can be done with very satisfying results. For local talk, I use sideband too - just because there are many locals that I know that like to talk skip as I do (these 'locals' live anywhere from 10 to 50 miles away from me - BTW). I prefer SSB to AM; you might too.

Radio is the kind of hobby that doesn't require you to know every thing about it before you can have fun with it. As you learn more, you can have more fun with it. You can be interested in different aspects of it more than others and learn and enjoy at your own pace. I think you will have fun using sideband if that is what you want to do next.

ssb will help talk slightly longer range.with ssb you have no carrier[deadkey]
all modulation.so its very possiblbe to talk to someone without having any
signal no a long time. on my way to work i talk mobile to base 25-30 miles
using 12-15 watts on ssb and a wilson 5k.without any trouble.i couldnt
do even half that with a stock uniden 76.soo yes it does help

Yes, I do prefer a sideband over an AM only radio myself, and most SSB radios also have AM as a mode of operation aswell, so your not losing anything...

But you will have to get use to adjusting your clairifier though...

T23

Sorry Steven, I didnt mean to have you all confused and I have deleted this in hopes you get your answer in the punctuation that you need to understand it. Again Im truly sorry and I hope you can sort these replies out and seek whatever it is your looking for.

No apology necessary. I was being a smart-###. I won't do it again; I don't want to make enemies on the forum.

I would and did. There is an entirely different culture out there on Side Band that enjoys long distance - DX. With SSB, you can talk to your base easier, with great ease, and even privacy. 38-LSB is a popular place when the skip is in.

Once you're on Side band, you'll be amazed at how many people you can talk to across the United States and even Australia which is common on the west coast. If you already have a good antenna, the SSB will only add to you two way experience.

Which SSB radio? That depends on your pocket book. I started with the Cobra 148GTL and found it to be a marvelous radio. You can find plenty on eBay and as always, research helps prior to committing to a purchase.

Hope to hear you on the SSB airwaves,

DT210
West Coast

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.