• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Signal Generator suggestions.

Georgia632

Apr 5, 2021
Need to perform alignment on a few receivers.

Any suggestions for signal generators that will allow me to generate AM rf in the uV level?

I started to look myself, but there is a vast array of test equipment and I don't even know where to start. I'm looking to spend less than $500. If I can get additional functionality in addition to rf signal generation capability, then better. (i.e. oscilloscope/rf signal generator).

Suggestions?

Thanks!

a long ways from being precise but what i use,,,
ef_johnson_trans_tester.jpg

Reactions: Robalo
Wow! That looks great! I suppose the question is more along the lines of equipment for building a budget workbench. Based on equipment that is available and reasonable in price.

Anyone else?

There are 3 EF Johnson Transceiver testers for sale on ebay right now. But all in "can't gaurantee it works" condition.

You'll find that the two performance features you'll want most also cost more.

Frequency stability and accuracy? The low-cost RF generators with a big knob and a dial don't offer that, but they will generate a signal. If you have other ways to set a receiver on frequency, this feature will be less important.

Calibrated output level: If you want to measure the sensitivity of a receiver, a calibrated output lets you choose just how many microvolts of signal to feed the radio. The low-cost models have a variable output knob, but no guidance as to how much signal is being delivered.

Used lab-grade generators can go for a few hundred bucks, but be sure to also get the service data. Old stuff that complex will try to break down sooner or later. The older it is, the more likely that becomes.

Oh, and the transciever testers? You'll need a crystal for the channel you want to generate a receive signal. The very cheapest analog RF generators will tend to "leak" signal above 10 or 20 MHz. Turning the output level all the way down may still deliver a stronger signal than you should use to peak receiver circuits.

Those are not all created equal. YMMV.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.