• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Silver Eagle 350 Amp

fatphatboy88

Nov 5, 2019
I was recently given a Galaxy Pluto 10m and a Silver Eagle 350 amp from a friend. I was told they were matched and tuned together about a year ago before my friends dad passed. Yes I know I need to be licensed for 10m and I am working on that. But I have a few questions about the amp.

If anybody is familiar with these amps, does it appear to be stock or has it been re-pilled and modded? It looks like the power wires have been replaced at some point but other then that, do the other components look to be correct?

The Galaxy Pluto has SSB but is this amp designed to work on SSB or not?

The connectors on the back are not labeled so I'm guessing that the input coax is the one closer to the center of the rear panel? And the output is the one on the left side by the power wires with the red wire connected?

There is a larger phillips head screw on the back panel that connects to nothing. Is there supposed to be something connected?

Would this amp pair well with a Uniden 980 SSB that I already have installed? Yes I know that it is illegal to go past the 4 watt limit but I hear multiple guys in my area talking on the radio about running 1800+ watts

SilverEagle350-1.jpg
SilverEagle350-2.jpg
SilverEagle350-3.jpg
SilverEagle350-4.jpg

Reactions: S&W357 and Tokin

I was recently given a Galaxy Pluto 10m and a Silver Eagle 350 amp from a friend. I was told they were matched and tuned together about a year ago before my friends dad passed. Yes I know I need to be licensed for 10m and I am working on that. But I have a few questions about the amp.

If anybody is familiar with these amps, does it appear to be stock or has it been re-pilled and modded? It looks like the power wires have been replaced at some point but other then that, do the other components look to be correct?

The Galaxy Pluto has SSB but is this amp designed to work on SSB or not?

The connectors on the back are not labeled so I'm guessing that the input coax is the one closer to the center of the rear panel? And the output is the one on the left side by the power wires with the red wire connected?

There is a larger phillips head screw on the back panel that connects to nothing. Is there supposed to be something connected?

Would this amp pair well with a Uniden 980 SSB that I already have installed? Yes I know that it is illegal to go past the 4 watt limit but I hear multiple guys in my area talking on the radio about running 1800+ watts

View attachment 36674 View attachment 36675 View attachment 36676 View attachment 36677
Welcome to the forum.
Im not an expert but through my experiences this does not look like the transistors have been replaced, at least not recently. I find the MRF455 often in this style amp. Id be happy to have it.
Hang tight and someone will be along soon who will be able to tell you the color of socks the guy soldering was wearing the day this amp was built. Very knowledgeable people here.

You don't have to explain away the whole 10m radio thing we all get it. Let's be honest, no ham radio operator uses a Galaxy anything on 10m. They all get converted to 11m and then we also free band with them or talk FM for fun.

Not a bad little low drive amplifier. It should have an auto SSB delay so it will work with your pluto just fine. Since the pluto has variable power you should be able to adjust the AM dead key and SSB power input levels for the amplifier just fine. All you need is a decent watt meter then start with the variable power on the radio all the way down.

Reactions: Tokin

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.