• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Silverload took a dump.. Which antenna now?

It would be a 257 (non HP).

I've seen the Mirage, but at this point it's out of my price range. :redface:
im not sure exactly what direction of radio ya want . but if ya lookin for a smaller chassis
ssb cb check out the galaxy 979 ,ive seen some great reviews and tunes up nice. i
got 2 magnums 1 from copper.com and other from bobscb.com both work great but non hp version.i think if was me id wait and save up for the yeticomm jmho

Reactions: 1 person
The 102 is very durable, and it does not need the spring...use a short spacer for the spring and you can tune it via the spacer. I used a piece of 3/8"x24 all-thread and a pair of the long nuts used on most antenna mounts. Simply cut the spacer until its where you want it.

I would not want a 102 with a spring as they lay flat at highway speeds and cause unnecessary movement when going slow.

Where did you find the 3/8" Fine thread? I just left Home Depot and all they had was coarse thread.

Well its a toss up between a new (non HP) 257 or a new 949.

I want to talk SSB so that's the whole reason I'm wanting a new radio. I will someday get my ticket, but I'm not sure when.

The only draw backs on the 949 is I'll need a freq meter and SSB isn't stable until warm.

The draw backs on the 257 is reliability, so Im told.

I'll probably end up with the 949 due to pricing. Also it would be coming from DTB.

I picked a freq counter up for my 949 local for around $40. The wires aren't very long so it has to be mounted fairly close to the radio. It's really handy. There's all sorts of simple mods to be done to the 9X9 series, too.

I picked a freq counter up for my 949 local for around $40. The wires aren't very long so it has to be mounted fairly close to the radio. It's really handy. There's all sorts of simple mods to be done to the 9X9 series, too.

Can you or anyone else think of an SSB ado that's around the 200 mark?

I saw the superstar 158dx but it doesn't seem to be very popular.

Edit.. that's on the extreme high end of my budget.

Last edited:
Outside of what's stated, I think there's a Connex or two, Cobra 148, umm... Go someplace like BellsCB website and have a look see. I named his because it's laid out relatively simple to figure out. You'll have to email or call to order. He's got all the specs to most every radio he sells and usually what it'll tune up to. Plus YouTube videos of ones he's tuned as per customer. AUUUUUUUDIIIIIIIOOOOOOOO. ONE TWO. ONE TWO CHECK.

Where did you find the 3/8" Fine thread? I just left Home Depot and all they had was coarse thread.

Local Ace/TrueValue Hardware has it in three foot lengths...and I can buy it in stainless from the local Graingers. You can also use a six inch spacer for a Wilson 2000 antenna.

How long did your Silver Load last? Mine just failed as well, it was less than six months old. Replaced it with a Trucker 2000. If this one lasts as long as the silver load, I'm replacing it with a Francis. This could get expensive.

I got my 18' run from a local shop. It's rg59. I took a 3' jumper and cut it in half an put new ends on it. It jumps from radio-small amp in dash-meter. I have the meter removed and a barrel connector in it's place. All that puts me around 21-22' in total length. Ima try to score some large coax from work. We've got some 7018 on a fairly large spool. Make a grand total of 18' from antenna to radio.

You may just have a bad spot on your coax. If you don't have a meter to check it, it's just as easy to go to RadioShak and get another 18' piece of the cheap stuff. If all the readings are normal, then get you a good piece of coax ordered. I keep a RatShack piece for trouble shooting.

I haven't read this whole thread in detail, but if you're seeing a "high" SWR using a typical mobile antenna which probably has a feedpoint impedance somewhere around 30-40 ohms, you probably don't want to use RG-59. RG-59 has a characteristic impedance of 75 ohms, which will generally result in a higher SWR with a 30-40 ohm antenna than RG-58 will.

And you can't make a blanket statement as I read on this thread that a mobile vertical antenna has a 40 ohm (or 35, or 30) impedance. It depends on the installation, amount of ground plane, and a large number of factors.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated