• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Silverload took a dump.. Which antenna now?

I think that you have found the possible problem. Personally I would run nothing more than a 2 pill into a wilson silverload, but that's me.

Im running it into a 102" whip now. It's been on there since Friday.. :headbang SWRs are excellent. 1.2 is the highest and that's on channel 1

Yeah, he got back with me. Hopefully we can figure this out. I appreciate yall help aswell! It's seems I'm having a run of bad luck this week. Some chick decided to rearrarnge my weld in roll pan on my truck Friday night so now I've got to deal with that too this week. My goal of a yeticom has now diminished to a 949 or magnum 257.

I picked up a refurb 949 for $110, IIRC. I got it here:
D X World Electronics
617 E Saint Bernard Hwy
Chalmette, Louisiana 70043
Tel: (504) 277-2137
He had a few Connex and some Cobras. He priced a 257 HP and it was more than internet top dollar...so I passed. The 949 is good on AM though.

I picked up a refurb 949 for $110, IIRC. I got it here:
D X World Electronics
617 E Saint Bernard Hwy
Chalmette, Louisiana 70043
Tel: (504) 277-2137
He had a few Connex and some Cobras. He priced a 257 HP and it was more than internet top dollar...so I passed. The 949 is good on AM though.

Hmm thanks for the info!

DTB wasn't very fond of the 257 at all and preferred the galaxy, but I will be using it for SSB as well as AM. I live in Louisiana so the climate isn't that cold and the radio should warm up fairly quickly.

If I got with a galaxy I'll have Dave mod it for receive and the big talker. If I go with the 257 it will just be tuned.

Any input on the 949 vs the 257?

949 is a cb which is a single final radio, 257 is an export , depending on non hp and hp it could be a dual final or a rfx 75 unit on it. I had both and both versions of the 257. For cheap good talker 949.

Unless you know which version/edition of 257 you're buying, it's a crap shoot for quality. At least that's what I've gathered from various threads. If you're gonna be running big power anyway, I'd suggest the Uniden 980 for a solid ssb radio. And it fits a single din slot.

949 is a cb which is a single final radio, 257 is an export , depending on non hp and hp it could be a dual final or a rfx 75 unit on it. I had both and both versions of the 257. For cheap good talker 949.

That's why I was looking at the 257 because I get a little more radio, but as Brake mentioned below (and DTB) about the quality issues of the 257.

Unless you know which version/edition of 257 you're buying, it's a crap shoot for quality. At least that's what I've gathered from various threads. If you're gonna be running big power anyway, I'd suggest the Uniden 980 for a solid ssb radio. And it fits a single din slot.

I'm not sure which version/edition of radio it would be? It would be a new radio if that means anything?

The Uniden 980? I haven't read very much on that radio other than the infamous Beep complaint. Will it tune up?

Which ever radio I decide on it the DX500v will be behind it so that is something to consider. (once fixed :) )

The 980 won't tune like other radios. I think the early 257 nonHPs and early HP versions are the better quality radios. It's the later built ones with QC issues. A 257 would suit me fine, but I've read too much bad about them to comfortably buy one.

Mirage is making a smaller frame sized export with ssb now. IIRC, it's an MX 86.

The 980 won't tune like other radios. I think the early 257 nonHPs and early HP versions are the better quality radios. It's the later built ones with QC issues. A 257 would suit me fine, but I've read too much bad about them to comfortably buy one.

Mirage is making a smaller frame sized export with ssb now. IIRC, it's an MX 86.

It would be a 257 (non HP).

I've seen the Mirage, but at this point it's out of my price range. :redface:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.