• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Since nobody believes a 148/grant will do 25+ watts...

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
Looks like someone cleaned up the other thread...

Since a bunch of people claimed BS on the assertion that a 148/Grant can do 25+ watts, I took my own personal Grant LT that has the same mods that I did to Nightrider's, put it on my bench and shot a video. There's no tricks here folks...it's just a quick and dirty (slightly out of focus) clip from my digital camera. The watt meter is a Bird43P. You can see for yourself the voltage reading from the power supply. This clip is showing the power reading on AM with a 50 watt slug. You're also hearing audio that is feeding back from an Yaesu 857D that is on the bench, which I use to monitor (among other things).

http://forum.worldwidedx.com/images/grant.wmv

Heck yeah, I've seen those kinds of numbers out of 148s and grants quite a few times. I don't see why it's so hard to believe. My 25 nw st does 24 watts peak.

hey tech 808, how ya doin'? oh, ummm, oops, sorry. saw everything got deleted, just thought i was back over at...
i never claimed BS. i just said i ain't buying it. nor am i watching any video. nor is it any better then any 19 watt 8719 radio i've ever done.
i'm not really sure which is worse-the folks who don't 'want' a particular radio because it doesn't do XX watts because some tech said it can, when YY watts is more realistic & no different in end results anyway, OR, the people who perpetuate this type of mentality.
those with 'stock' watts may think i'm bragging when i say my base is doing 100 watts, and those with '500 watts' may think i'm lying when i smoke their rearends, but i know factually and truthfully that my stations overall efficiency is far greater then they could ever hope theirs is.

My Cobra 2000 and original 148 is doing 28 watts peak.

My 76XL does 45 watts plus, along with a 29 and a 25.

Thanks Justin!

davegrantsr said:
hey tech 808, how ya doin'? oh, ummm, oops, sorry. saw everything got deleted, just thought i was back over at...
i never claimed BS. i just said i ain't buying it. nor am i watching any video. nor is it any better then any 19 watt 8719 radio i've ever done.
i'm not really sure which is worse-the folks who don't 'want' a particular radio because it doesn't do XX watts because some tech said it can, when YY watts is more realistic & no different in end results anyway, OR, the people who perpetuate this type of mentality.
those with 'stock' watts may think i'm bragging when i say my base is doing 100 watts, and those with '500 watts' may think i'm lying when i smoke their rearends, but i know factually and truthfully that my stations overall efficiency is far greater then they could ever hope theirs is.

worthlessnc0.gif

Also for an FYI, the original thread was not deleted and I will bring it back to the top, just wanted things to cool down until the Bears won,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,errrrrrrrr uh well that boat done sunk! :p

Tech808, huh? don't worry...I'm not missing the shots you're taking at me, but I'm not biting. I never said it was any better or worse than any other radio; just reporting what I did. BTW, Claiming BS and "I ain't buying it" mean the same thing so quit with the semantics.

What the heck are you talking about anyway? You're the ONLY one fueling any fire in this debate. YOU are one of the ones that started poo-pooing me/someone doing this type of mod to the radio, and now when I post a video proving it can be done, you say:

1. Aren't watching any video that proves the results
2. Claim no differnece in results ("...no different in end results anyway")
3. Make references to techs from shops that are less than trustworthy.
4. Talk about perpetuating some kind of "mentality"

All I'm saying is stop with the worthless drivel. The radio does what I said it does; whether or not you've ever seen one do that is not my problem. You're the one making an issue out of nothing.

On another note: I'm not trying to break anyone down, but the posts in this thread regarding the other radios doing around 25 watts that are AM only radios are really a completly different subject. There is a big difference and reason why an AM only radio with a 1969 transistor can do around 50 watts (when set up properly) and the same transistor in the AM/SSB radio will see less than 30. It's kind've like comparing apples and oranges.

Gearhead said:
Heck yeah, I've seen those kinds of numbers out of 148s and grants quite a few times. I don't see why it's so hard to believe. My 25 nw st does 24 watts peak.

Totally different transmitters.

It's easy as pie to get 25+ watts from ANY AM chassis with a transformer in it.

The transformer gives you > 12 volts on the collectors during modulation. This, via ohms law, allows for > power output.

Want something to brag about? How about my 29 that does > 50 watts. Sean, Bigfoot, in Chicago has 29s that, on 14 volt systems, will budge a 5 thousand slug.. Not PEP mode. Am rigs are easy.

The 148 chassis, since it uses a single final and a transistor shunt modulator, can't achieve the voltages necessary to get up to the 25 number. It can be done, but it isn't as easy as just clipping the mod limiter. A little work in the modulator section can yield BIG numbers....

I have a Grant DX that I've been playing with the modulator section on. Still in AB mode for SSB usage, I have it deadkeying 1 watt, and with the stock mic, I slam a 10 watt slug. I don't have a peak kit, so do the math. Yeah, it's a dual final radio, but it doesn't sound like a galaxy with a shitty swing kit in it, it sounds <<LOUD>>...

Anywho, just my .02 worth.

--Eye Uh Toll Uh

Moleculo said:

Tech808, huh? don't worry...I'm not missing the shots you're taking at me, but I'm not biting. I never said it was any better or worse than any other radio; just reporting what I did. BTW, Claiming BS and "I ain't buying it" mean the same thing so quit with the semantics.

What the heck are you talking about anyway? You're the ONLY one fueling any fire in this debate. YOU are one of the ones that started poo-pooing me/someone doing this type of mod to the radio, and now when I post a video proving it can be done, you say:

1. Aren't watching any video that proves the results
2. Claim no differnece in results ("...no different in end results anyway")
3. Make references to techs from shops that are less than trustworthy.
4. Talk about perpetuating some kind of "mentality"

All I'm saying is stop with the worthless drivel. The radio does what I said it does; whether or not you've ever seen one do that is not my problem. You're the one making an issue out of nothing.

On another note: I'm not trying to break anyone down, but the posts in this thread regarding the other radios doing around 25 watts that are AM only radios are really a completly different subject. There is a big difference and reason why an AM only radio with a 1969 transistor can do around 50 watts (when set up properly) and the same transistor in the AM/SSB radio will see less than 30. It's kind've like comparing apples and oranges.

Hey bud, I thought of you because I know you have that two tube monster.

A friend of mine has used/tested 3CX800s for 125.00 shipped UPS ground. If your interested, pm me or somethin and I'll set you up with the info.

He also has some YC179 tubes (5K socketless triodes, good for 7 to 10K output) for next to nothing. Same thing, pm for more info.

--Toll_Free

125 is a good price for those tubes...I'll PM you.

BTW, I have another video I can post of that same Grant on AVG mode....It's doing 9 watts AVG from a 2 watt deadkey. Pretty close to the numbers you're talking about. Oh yeah, thanks for going into the details on the AM only radios. I was going to, but you beat me to it :)

Moleculo said:
Looks like someone cleaned up the other thread...

Since a bunch of people claimed BS on the assertion that a 148/Grant can do 25+ watts, I took my own personal Grant LT that has the same mods that I did to Nightrider's, put it on my bench and shot a video. There's no tricks here folks...it's just a quick and dirty (slightly out of focus) clip from my digital camera. The watt meter is a Bird43P. You can see for yourself the voltage reading from the power supply. This clip is showing the power reading on AM with a 50 watt slug. You're also hearing audio that is feeding back from an Yaesu 857D that is on the bench, which I use to monitor (among other things).

http://forum.worldwidedx.com/images/grant.wmv

This whole thing started when someone claimed absurd AVERAGE or RMS numbers. Show a video of what that does on a Bird 43 with a 50 watt element.

i PERSONALLY made no mention of AM radios, which should not have channel selectors on them, but be limited to channel 19 only. in fact, i specified '8719' radios. 'twas all the others who chimed in 'oranges' & their 50 watt AM radios. so leave me out of that. while i AM a big time AMer, a radio NEEDS SSB for those times when....

my 18-19 watt XL's have competed with all the big boy 25-30 watt 148/296/lt/etc radios, & while there may have been some close calls, it's never been smoked. the main point is, why bother going through all that work for a few watts that won't make a bit of difference-if they really exist? i don't have the time to delve into the 22 watt rating of 2sc1969's & what happens to them when they get hammered. we know what happens to 2sc2879's when they exceed their 120 watt rating-sometimes good, sometimes bad. the same applies to the lil ole 1969. as well, the same thing has been shown with AM only radios, & when they approach double their rated output. sure, those transistors slam, til they puke, but, aw, forget it. i need to slow down anyway. keep perpetuating the high output, single final radio stuff, & i'll keep showing those who purchase them that they're not as mean as they think they are. with the newfound spare time i have, i'll just keep on setting up the hunk-a-junk amps these guys buy, lower their reflect from 50% to next to nothing, & let them have fun with their real-world 200 watts, not the 200 in-50 out they're used to.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.