• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Single frequency noise

depark

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Feb 17, 2010
Kelowna, BC
I have a small issue that I an trying to resolve. I have a noise on a single frequency that I use. It is 146.820 with a negitive offset. It is one of my radio clubs repeaters. It is very well used by our members. It seams that I am the only one that is having this problem and it's only this frequency. I have 2 radios in my van and they both do it. They are a Yaesu FTM-350 and a TYT TH-9000 VHF. It doesn't matter if they are both on or one of them are off. Couriously when I first start the radios they are silent. The interfearence starts after about 30min of powering them up. The van does not have to be nrunning for it to occure. The radios are direct wired to the battery. Any suggestions would be great.

It is just static. It keeps the squelch open with about S5. It doesn't matter where I am or a direction of travel. It is just there. There is nothing more annoying than trying to monitor a frequency and have that all the time.

I have a small issue that I an trying to resolve. I have a noise on a single frequency that I use. It is 146.820 with a negitive offset. It is one of my radio clubs repeaters. It is very well used by our members. It seams that I am the only one that is having this problem and it's only this frequency. I have 2 radios in my van and they both do it. They are a Yaesu FTM-350 and a TYT TH-9000 VHF. It doesn't matter if they are both on or one of them are off. Couriously when I first start the radios they are silent. The interfearence starts after about 30min of powering them up. The van does not have to be nrunning for it to occure. The radios are direct wired to the battery. Any suggestions would be great.

There are only three common factors in this equation: You, the frequency, the van.
And by "VAN" I am including its native electronics/electrical system and the additional electroncis added by you.
Good luck.
I hope you figure it out and are able to resolve the issue.

That's weird that it takes 30 minutes for it to start, even if the van is not running. Having the same thing happen with 2 dissimilar rigs, even stranger.

I wonder if you could disconnect the van from the battery and only power your radio. Maybe you have something in the van that starts a parasitic draw and emits RFI, but takes 30 minutes to build up.

Hell, I don't know. That's a weird situation.

Does your battery always hold a charge after sitting for a while?

the FIRST thing you need to do, is when the noise is present, disconnect the antenna coax and see if it goes away.

the FIRST thing you need to do, is when the noise is present, disconnect the antenna coax and see if it goes away.

Agreed with Hookedon as well ... then try what Radio mentioned as well,that should tell you of it is the radio itself or some outside problem

I was thinking if it were a single frequency it might be the cable TV transmission lines in the area.

I know around my area there is a birdy that will show up when I am in a nearby town on one frequency...outside of town the birdy goes away...seems like it was around 146.500 +/-

...I was thinking if it were a single frequency it might be the cable TV transmission lines in the area.

actually, that was one of the first things i thought of too,....

but from the post, it is difficult to know if the vehicle is always parked in the same location with or with out the engine running, or sometimes actually mobile when the noise appears.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.