• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SIRIO 2000 series

Lazybones1222

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 6, 2005
Tampa Bay Florida
Thinking of replacing an A99 with one of these. They are about 20 feet tall and the radials are only foot feet across, 2 feet each. Good for my stealth location/situation.
Do they bleed like the A99s (common mode currents) or perform better ? Comments?
60-1023876032-pic.gif

60-1023876074-pic.jpeg

Looks like the spectrum 1600. I had one and have it laying on the side of my house. It talked really well for me. The radials seem flimsy but it held up on 65 mile hour winds. Took it down cause I don't talk on the base anymore.

it is a ok antenna

if you can do so

get yourself jay's Interceptor I-10K
it is likly the best out there for the last several years
but is too expensive for some

however antenna is far more importent then those garbage so called compititsion amps

if I-10K is too much for you then look into wolf's antennas
nearly as good as jay's....but jay's is likly the best out there as we speak

most think i am on a beam when DXing with it

Later

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
DCowboys said:
Looks like the spectrum 1600. I had one and have it laying on the side of my house. It talked really well for me. The radials seem flimsy but it held up on 65 mile hour winds. Took it down cause I don't talk on the base anymore.

Thanks Cowboy. Usefull information.

lazy its from the same stable as sirio sirtell cte,

save youreself some money and dont bother,
we had lots of them round here when they first appeared on the scene,
they are made from cheese and i guarrentee it will bend or snap in high winds,
even if you change the radiator for something stronger the bracket will bend,
the only half decent base antenna sirio makes is the sirio827
that is somewhere between a vector 4000 and the 2000 series for performance ( closer to the 2000 series ) but much stronger made,
the base section makes my i10k look scrawny even the newer ones which are lighter made than the original 827,
but they too have issues with the tap on the coil going open circuit when you unkey and occasionally the top 3 sections snapping off in 80+mph winds,

sadly the 827 is the best allround antenna we can buy in the uk

Lazybones1222 said:
DCowboys said:

I was going to send it to you for free since I wasn't using it, butt....

DCowboys said:
Lazybones1222 said:
DCowboys said:

I was going to send it to you for free since I wasn't using it, butt....

BUT WHAT? I was being sincere. Thanks for the reply.

DCowboys, he WAS being sincere! The comment about "usefull information" was directed at ME. Let me explain;

At the end of Lazybones' original post he wrote, "Comments?" My reply was, "NO COMMENT!" I didn't elaborate, but my tongue-in-cheek comment was not received well which was evident by Lazybones' post. I deleted my post and Lazybone's post as it didn't add to the discussion and it was clearly not received as intended. I take responsibility for that.

Had I elaborated, I would have gone into the fact that the Spectrum 1600 is a horrible antenna and that I would never own one. Now, I understand people use them and they work well for them. But, I've also seen them fail and burn up! The lack of full size ground radials is also disturbing.

As I've said before, if there was a better way to build an antenna, Avanti, HyGain and others would have been doing it..... AND..... everything works; some antennas better than others.

As for Lazybones' original parameter of having a stealth antenna, it wouldn't be any more stealth than a Maco with shortened radials. I'd go with an Imax and paint it.

So, please don't think Lazybones was upset at you. I was the focus of that comment.

The Spec 1600 is an OK antenna (not to much to worry about in So.Cal as far as weather is concerned) kind of ugly looking as well...........in otherwords ,they work , I've known a few guys to use them over the years and they did everything else that everybody else seemed to be doing on there different antennas. IM personally not real fond of fiberglass type antenna's . For under and around the 100.00 range in cost for a antenna , I would go with the MACO Alpha V-5/8s everytime within that price range.......This antenna has been around for a very long time and still going strong after some 30 or so odd years (they must have done something right) , once owned by Wilson and sold to MACO many years ago. For my style of radio operation over the years , this is surely my antenna of choice. Not bad for the price being under a C note after all these years.

I agree Switch Kit. But the radials on the V58 are too long for my application. Got trees too close.

Master Chief - I pop off quickly but cool down quickly as well. Sorry. ;)

there's really no need to shoot for the stars with those Maco A-V-5/8 Lazy , I believe 10ft clearance is all thats' needed concerning those ground planes , had a friend that had one up right along side a 100ft pine tree , he was on a make shift 30ft pipe to pipe push up, so to speak , I'd say his g-planes were roughly 10 ft above his roof and maybe 5 or 6 ft away ,along side the Pine tree. He ran it just like that for 20 years , he moved a few years back and I took the thing down for him , Surely a rusty delight , I cleaned it up a little around the most importent joints of the antenna and put the same old pipes and antenna right back up for him ,the match was there and he was back in business. I've seen pictures of your Dipole Lazy and I was very impressed to say the least with the install as well as your reports of how well it worked for you. Unless you have moved since those pictures ? I'd be failry sure you could make a Alpha V-5/8 work for you just fine if you really wanted to go that route. I would surely bet the farm that you would be very pleased with it's performance compared to your dipole's if that's even what you run anymore ? ....OK ...I see you run the A-99 now ........The A-v5/8's would cost you less then the Spec 1600 and would out perform it as well , if as you say space being a problem for you , you could still save money and do very well with the with the A-99's bigger brother in the 2000 ,still less then the Spec.

Lazybones1222 said:
Master Chief - I pop off quickly but cool down quickly as well. Sorry. ;)

No problem! I know you are a good guy after a conversation I had with Justin about amps and LEDs. I knew I was misunderstood and owned part of the blame! No foul!

bob85 said:
lazy its from the same stable as sirio sirtell cte,
the only half decent base antenna sirio makes is the sirio827

How long are the radials on that one bob...in feet...........lol

Thanks for the understanding MC.

If it looks good it can't work? That's funny.

Switchkit - there are adjacent trees that hide the A99. the dipole is still up and I use it for DX from time to time. The Antron is about 55 ft up in a pine tree @ the base, in the middle of three other trees hiding the antenna from the homer owners association. lol

10-4 on that Lazy-B ......... man sometimes gots to do what he gots to do. :)

I've had my cup runnith over with homer owners associations !!
Nuff Said

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.