• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio 2016

That's the way to do it. Inox locknuts and screws.
mount.jpg

i cut and past this from a reply i did on FB yesterday ..looks like good electrical tape applied well can last 35 years.. i never had any problems with any joint i have ever done unless there was a mechanical fail

>>>>to seal joints i use just good quality electrical tape..i make certain i keep it tight and slightly stretched when rapping it ..i have remains of a 5/8th wave i made when i was 18 laid down outside at the back of a shed on the floor and all the roof water falls on it as no gutter..the other year i was short of a jubilee clip and remembered the old antenna i cut the tape and the clip was relatively rust free would have been second hand as all the ally on the antenna was and the joint was pretty good with any corrosion looking like moister had got in from the inside of the antenna..probably as lade on its side ..it was probably about 35 years old .... i have not had as good look with self-amalgamating tape i used quality 3M self-amalgamating tape on my Sirio V4K ,, I take it down to repair the basket after about 18 months i find that the tape had stuck to its self very well but not so well to the aluminum exspaily around tight radiuses and their was sighns of water ingres and slight corrishion under it ,, i remuved it all and relaced it with good quality electrcal tape......... bugger the spell cheker has stoped

My Sirio 2016 has been up for 16 months now. I used Ox-Gard on the sections, and used blue Loctite on the screws. It's still working great!

I did that in a few antennas with 1mm walls. No issues. Antennas over 10 years on tower. Still in one piece.
That's great! My concern would be if the fasteners were too tight, the radials would collapse and be oval shaped which would leave a path for water and moisture to enter the joint.

Reactions: Rwb
Sorry, I was thinking rivets.
Using rivets would definitely compress the hollow radials and you would have a mess. Using hose clamps is effective because they apply pressure on the entire circumference of the male to female connection, whereas using screws or thru-bolts only apply pressure under the head of the screw and/or under the head of the bolt and under the nut. The majority of the female ends on two-piece radials have two or more splits and provide a friction-fit between the male and female surfaces which will "almost" produce a watertight seal. Hose clamps with a layer of tape, sealant, Liquid Tape, etc. etc., covering the clamps, splits and the minute gap at the joint, will last for a long time.

Reactions: davev8 and Rwb
Doesn't the 2016 come with those black plastic connectors that join and seal the joints? My 2008 did. Then I sprayed them with clear enamel, used shrink tube, and sprayed them again.

Reactions: Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.