• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio 5000 mobile antenna wow !!

Charlie Brown

certifiable
Dec 18, 2010
Tennessee
www.pedalsteelman.com
Got me a new car. A chevy HHR. Cool car. I bought a radio from Bells CB .... good score !! Bought a WIlson 5000 roof mount and popped a hole in the roof of my car today and installed the mount.

I purchased the Sirio 5000 antenna from H&Y.. I had it on a mag mount for a bit testing it. One of the base station guys usually puts 5# on me in my yard on the wilson 5000. On the sirio he puts 6/12 to 7 # on me. When I put the mount thru the roof, the same guy put 6# on me on the wilson 5000 and 8/12 with the Sirio.. I am not easily impressed but this is a great antenna. its 6 1/2' tall.

They work...... I'd buy a base antenna if they'd handle more than 400 watts??

I'll post sum pic's if anyone wants to see them?

Reactions: 1 person

wow, your install on your last vehicle with the wilson 5000 mustve had big problems!

you are talking about over a 10db difference between these antennas, and since we know that no mobile CB antennas have gain, your old install mustve had a 10db loss or so.

dont get me wrong, im not doubting that you saw what you saw; im just saying that the difference you are noticing might not be from what you think it is.

it does have a longer whip, and that means more capture area, but not even close to 2 S-units worth.

oh wait, you said you just bought a new radio right? you're not comparing the S unit reading on this new radio with the S unit reading on the old radio are you?
if so, your comparisons dont mean what you think they do.

how sturdy is the whip itself? does it lay down a lot at highway speeds?
LC

I have the Sirio P-5000 mag antenna myself and man, that thing freakin rocks! I have had more compliments and made many, many more dx contacts than I did with a SS 102" on 4 mag set up on the roof of the mini van. It leans back slightly at highway speeds, meaning it does lean but not not to where it's almost level with the roof LOL It receives excellent! I run a cobra 200 gtl through mine an so far so good. easy to set up an so far the SWR is good from 26.965 to 28.900. It actually shows you which way you want to move the stinger for what band you want to run. In my opinion, it is definitely worth the money.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
No just 1 1/2 to 2 db over the wilson?? Where'd u get 10? NEW CAR & New radio. No old radio??

wow, your install on your last vehicle with the wilson 5000 mustve had big problems!

you are talking about over a 10db difference between these antennas, and since we know that no mobile CB antennas have gain, your old install mustve had a 10db loss or so.

dont get me wrong, im not doubting that you saw what you saw; im just saying that the difference you are noticing might not be from what you think it is.

it does have a longer whip, and that means more capture area, but not even close to 2 S-units worth.

oh wait, you said you just bought a new radio right? you're not comparing the S unit reading on this new radio with the S unit reading on the old radio are you?
if so, your comparisons dont mean what you think they do.

how sturdy is the whip itself? does it lay down a lot at highway speeds?
LC

pedal steel man, the meters in radios do not measure decibels. they measure "S units" or "signal units". in modern, and most older CB radios, the meters are calibrated at 6db per S unit.

that means that for someone to increase their signal in your receiver by 1 S-unit, they need to achieve a 6 db increase in their power output, which equals out to about a 4x increase.
if their 4 watt deadkey hits you with an S-5, then they will have to have a 16 watt deadkey to hit you with an S-6.

i was being nice when i said 10 db, because its probably closer to 12db.

you also have to remember that unless you send your radio to a tech that has the right equipment, and actually does a FULL alignment on the radios he services; then you really have no idea whether or not your S meter is calibrated correctly or not.
quality control on the assembly line for cb radios flat out sucks.

im not saying that it will be really far off, im just saying that its not a scientific instrument that you can get accurate measurements from usually.

you just bought a new radio, and if i am correct, you are comparing the S unit reading on this new radio to the S unit reading on your old radio, and since the two meters could be way different in calibration, you cant really get any real data doing it this way.
LC

All in all I get what hes saying and that is that the Sirio is a great antenna and he personally seen a difference in its performance over his wilson. As I have also seen alot of people say they also have seen a difference.

I just looked at some older ads for this particular antenna and they had a money back guarantee that it would out perform the Wilson 5000 Ill have to try one for myself I guess I should really start weeding out the stack of mobile antennas I dont use and that are already sitting around LMAO!!

The only 3 of the many I have that I want to try out is this Nugtron , Solarcon gold and this Wilson silver series whip that is supposed to handle 1000 watts I always seem to go back to these less bulky Wilson antennas Ive used them on 10 and 11 meters I havent tried 12 but ofcourse Ill use a tuner which Im sure will be needed.

This Nugatron is kind of a cool antenna I should really do a background search on these to see what they handle for input power only reason I havent traded it off yet was apparently there hard to find now. Ill have to start a thread on these and see what info I can obtain on them but I will give this Sirio a try.

Bells CB does all my work now.

Don't know about all that jazz???????

Just know what my meter says?????

Like what I see and like what I hear Now??????

Can I have my excitement back now and feel good about all this hard earned $$ I spent??
:unsure:
Thanx

pedal steel man, the meters in radios do not measure decibels. they measure "S units" or "signal units". in modern, and most older CB radios, the meters are calibrated at 6db per S unit.

that means that for someone to increase their signal in your receiver by 1 S-unit, they need to achieve a 6 db increase in their power output, which equals out to about a 4x increase.
if their 4 watt deadkey hits you with an S-5, then they will have to have a 16 watt deadkey to hit you with an S-6.

you also have to remember that unless you send your radio to a tech that has the right equipment, and actually does a FULL alignment on the radios he services; then you really have no idea whether or not your S meter is calibrated correctly or not.

im not saying that it will be really far off, im just saying that its not a scientific instrument that you can get accurate measurements from usually.

you just bought a new radio, and if i am correct, you are comparing the S unit reading on this new radio to the S unit reading on your old radio, and since the two meters could be way different in calibration, you cant really get any real data doing it this way.
LC

Reactions: 1 person

LC

well i gotta agree also i gotta sirio z180 and it outtalks and outhears the wilson 5000
it replaced.cant remember the exact difference wasnt much but it was NOTICABLELY
better.forgot to mention it covers 10 and 11 meters with a 1.5.1 swr and will do
12 meters with a swr of about 2.0.1.

forgot to mention it covers 10 and 11 meters with a 1.5.1 swr and will do 12 meters with a swr of about 2.0.1.[/QUOTE said:
Now this is exactly what Im after a tuner can even out the 12 meter SWR (y)

i liked the sirio mobile antenna. but on the wilson mount it was about
all it could muster to keep it on. sirio used to have a 7 inch magnet?
[may still have] but best bet would be to drill a hole.i hit low tree branches
on my road and it actually moved my mount about 2 inches

LMAO!!! @ pedal steel man.

yes, you can have your excitement back. i didnt mean to imply that you wasted any of your money, or that you shouldnt be tickled pink with your purchases.

i just didnt want you to go telling all the locals that buying a sirio 5000 would gain them 2 s-units on their receive. you would end up with a lot of disappointed people.

i am involved in other antenna threads right now, and i guess my attitude kinda bleeds over. LOL

what i said about S meters is true, and now you know how it all works, and why upgrading from a 2 pill to a 4 pill amp would be about worthless.
careful, this info has been known to create enemies. LOL

as always, have fun,
LC

Awesome MAN !! THANX.. BTW I DID a thru the roof mount using a WILSON roof mount. I was running a mag mount wilson 5000 before I POPPED THE HOLE LOL... my car is red so I wont say CHERRY HAHAHA but it was a very noticeable difference over the mag mount WILSON :D:D;):sneaky2::p

LMAO!!! @ pedal steel man.

yes, you can have your excitement back. i didnt mean to imply that you wasted any of your money, or that you shouldnt be tickled pink with your purchases.

i just didnt want you to go telling all the locals that buying a sirio 5000 would gain them 2 s-units on their receive. you would end up with a lot of disappointed people.

i am involved in other antenna threads right now, and i guess my attitude kinda bleeds over. LOL

what i said about S meters is true, and now you know how it all works, and why upgrading from a 2 pill to a 4 pill amp would be about worthless.
careful, this info has been known to create enemies. LOL

as always, have fun,
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.