• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio has officially jumped the shark

Mud , I'm not judging ! :LOL: But I must admit that light in the Sirio seems to look better than that " Peek A Boo " Blue light light thru the little widows on the Stryker .;)

I'll miss the older days of those Neon lamps - the ones needing 220K resistance.

• - they fire at about 40 volts,
  • - which is easy enough to get (the firing voltage) at the top of a typical 3~4' simple base load or top-load whip
  • - the voltage node will make it fire and was a lot less "intrusive" than to use a "separate tap circuit" to obtain and utilize" RF rectification just for the LED lamp buried inside the load.
  • - again an issue with how much resistance you needed at the "tap" of the radial you use. Near the base - almost all current, near the top - voltage.
  • The difference in transmutation of current to voltage is more extreme in the shorter antennas like three feet to as much a 5 feet long radiator - allowing the use of Gas discharge bulbs like Neon - which fire at 40 volts or so - to even work.
  • so to see the base load whip lighting up makes me question if it's really going to work for the typical CB Operator using that antenna with the typical 4-watt radio and the usual setup.
Neon or Fluorescent (mercury type) - Neon is the safer - less reactive and not a poisonous as mercury - and in regards to Gas discharge types. Contributes little in heat losses nor is there a current limit need in the use of them in any USUAL setup - however high voltage arcing like any other event is detrimental to the bulb

Why do I say the LED types may or may not work, it depends on how well the system is going to work in the environment it's used in.
  • Parked to a Tree? It may not work at all for the power absorption you have in the braches can prevent the lamp from receiving enough power to light from the signal radiating and absorbing into the shrubbery...
  • Next to buildings, unless you're really more than a 1/4 fractional length of distance from an overhang the lamp again may not light or worse your SWR problems would be too great to even make it an effective radiator.
What I'm trying to tell people is
  • - if you buy the antenna for the light, you'll miss the point of even using the reason you bought an antenna
  • - may not work if you try to use it just for the light in certain conditions and locations,
  • - may not work as intended and can damage the radio to the point of needing service because it was not operated in an open area or was purposefully tuned to make the light work - more than to provide a low-SWR matching while in operation,
  • - if an amplifier is used you need to provide careful considerations to the above as well as how much power the device can handle
  • - power dissipation become more of a concern including heating and the result of melt of the electronics shorting out or otherwise ruining the SWR match of the antenna rendering it useless
The above are just some stuff I had to deal with when troubleshooting one of the more popular conversions of using the Black Lite Fluorescent tubes. They'd tie these up on whips back in the 90's and early 2000's. You could have found these devices in any hardware, Wal-mart or even smaller chain stores - in simple plug in nite-lights - you can remove from the housing simply enough

So to add to this, is not to degrade the antenna - I think it's cool - just to the reader, remember that to expect it to work under any and all conditions you may want to operate it in, you may want to reconsider a more dedicated lighting system. For in, having to produce RF to make the system light can generate interference on channels that may be needed to use or already in use for other on-air traffic- that would compound the problem even further...

If it don't work like you wanted - refer to this post as to what you really should have looked into...

Which if they chose the "amp" route, well, that mess is another can of worms you have yet to locate...

The last thing I need is some dope on the road to be mesmerized by that stupid little flashy light and BAAAAMMM

It’s the woo-woo YouFo quality of a little bitty light turning on & off
and coming towards you while out on the High Plains at o’dark thirty.

Always closer. And closer
And right at you.

N’alien got his claws into the roof of that pickemup!

Last edited:
Guess they are trying to appeal to a younger crowd.
Or at the least - an attempt to?

Yesterday I was blowing up the same blowhard near Zanesvile, OH I’d heard a few days previously as I was passing the opposite direction. When I’d thought he was just another stink-ass trucker eating Doritos at the J.

Too much echo and too much mike gain.
Which he had no interest in correcting.
Despite initial attempts. Several

No brains behind words.
All about what TV and Blowhard Good Buddy Rush was feeding him.
Boobus Americanus

So it WAS funny to remind him over and over he couldn’t be understood.
Had to use endless echo and slow delivery to repeat his wisdom for other listeners. (Once is all it takes)

Nope, he’s on a station straight outta Mommas basement.
Since nineteen & eighty-three.

Momma in the chest freezer since ought-six.
Social Security check still comin’.

He’s your man!!

He’s gonna NEED that Roger Bip & Transmit Lamp the rest of us will know it ain’t some wacky interference.

Me? A few hours sleep split apart by a royal pain of a delivery the night before at the receiver. That was my bag of Doritos.

And what a duet we sang, brothers!

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.