• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

sirio performer 5000

camaro1

Nov 2, 2012
wisconsin
after almost a year my Wilson 1000 started taking on water, took it off a few weeks ago and the coil was full of moisture, ordered a sirio so239 hard mount and a sirio performer 5000

the so239 mount arrived first so I installed that and even with the Wilson antenna I noticed a reduction in the noise level over the mag mount so that was a bonus! and no more coax running through the hatch.

a few days later the sirio 5000 showed up,, got it set up and tuned, had to take about 1/2" off the whip and here is what I got for swr range:

25.900 2.5swr
26.250 2.0swr
27.385 1.2swr
28.565 2.0swr
29.000 2.5swr

Attachments

• 0901130848.jpg
    0901130848.jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 0901130848a.jpg
    0901130848a.jpg
    520.4 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: 1 person

Looks nice man, been thinking of getting one myself, I just can't drill into my work van so magnet mount is all I can run. I have heard nothing but good things about the sirio antennas.

Well done. I am pleased with mine permanent mounted to my truck cab.
I do see an improvement in performance and bandwidth over the Wilson 1k and 5k I used to run. It is a bit directional because of where it is mounted..

On Sirio P5000
25.500 2.0
26.000 1.4
26.500 1.18
27.000 1.13
27.250 1.10
27.500 1.18
28.000 1.30

Gets me under the 40 and above in to 10m better than the wilsons did (y)

Attachments

• sirio1.JPG
    sirio1.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 19
Did anyone encounter thin sheet metal? That's been my concern. I haven't installed my hard mount yet

Well it sure didn't take long to drill through it. Unfortunately it was thin but all modern vehicles will have that. I did sand the under side of the roof around the hole to insure a good ground. I did put a bit larger washer on the under side of the mount so it would dispers the force over more metal area. I was worried about hitting a low tree limb and tearing a hole in the roof. Its on top a full size dodge 4x4 so its pretty tall. Glad I bought the performer and not the turbo...has the easy twist lock if I need to lay it down.

hey Blackcat630 what did you use for the so239 mount,, looks like your antenna is tightened right up to the metal of the roof,, I used the sirio so239 mount and it has a plastic spacer with an o-ring under it that tightens to the roof then the antenna screws onto that, I like how yours looks better flush mounted, mine you can see the mount just under the antenna

hey Blackcat630 what did you use for the so239 mount

Well I picked up a cheap NEW comet mount at a hamfest. Right place at the right time. Anyways before drilling and mounting I screwed it into the sirio and marked how far down on the so239 threads it went with a sharpie. I then knew how much I needed above my roof for a good fit. The comet mount only used a small metal nut with o ring. The supplied plastic end cap (if that's what you call it?) from sirio covered the nut so it does give it a flush look. Even though I marked my threads I still had to do some adjusting to the nut below the roof in order to get just enough out for a good tight and flush fit.

Well it sure didn't take long to drill through it. Unfortunately it was thin but all modern vehicles will have that. I did sand the under side of the roof around the hole to insure a good ground. I did put a bit larger washer on the under side of the mount so it would dispers the force over more metal area. I was worried about hitting a low tree limb and tearing a hole in the roof. Its on top a full size dodge 4x4 so its pretty tall. Glad I bought the performer and not the turbo...has the easy twist lock if I need to lay it down.

Thanks.
I'm also concerned about metal corrosion prevention. In the past whenever I'd drill a hole,I'd install the item and then paint over the junction to stop any corrosion. I'm thinking about mounting mine in the ribbed area on my roof where the luggage rack is. If I use a reinforcing washer I'd have enough bare metal just around the hole,use a star washer,use NO-OX-ID around the connection,then use a shim of sorts under the outer circumference of the big washer to make up for the star washer's thickness,then with the mount installed,paint over the mount on the underside.
I don't like corrosion.

The no-ox should keep any corrosion away, I have seen grounding bars in power plants that were over 10 years old that when you pulled the lug off the bar, the copper behind it was still shiny as new, no-ox does work well.

I have thought about installing my hardmount either on the C or D pillar on my ride. That would leave room to use my luggage rack area.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 160
got it from dj electronics in cali(ebay),, I tested it against the Wilson(both using the new so239 sirio hard mount) to a base station 28miles away he did notice an improvement when I was on the sirio but it wasn't a whole lot, maybe 1/2 s-unit on the peaks, on his meter he said

Reactions: 2 people
got it from dj electronics in cali(ebay),, I tested it against the Wilson(both using the new so239 sirio hard mount) to a base station 28miles away he did notice an improvement when I was on the sirio but it wasn't a whole lot, maybe 1/2 s-unit on the peaks, on his meter he said

i gotta sirio z-180 with about same results. locally 10 miles away i saw no difference
wasnt until i got out a good distance i saw improvments.even then it was small.
on dnj web site whats the part number for the hard mount?on my back road
i have several low branches and my wilson mag mount wont hold my sirio up

not sure on the part number from there site but on ebay this is how its listed:

Sirio SG-AC/U SO-239 Body Mount W/ 13 ft (4M) Cable

I ordered mine from h&y. I have heard some horror stories about them and copper but I guess I have been lucky....though I probably wouldn't buy a radio from either of them. I also saw about a 1/2 s unit increase in transmit. I did see more of an improvement in receive about 1 s unit. The sirio seems a little quieter.

Reactions: 2 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.