• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio vs Imax

Godfather

Jan 17, 2009
I am ready to get a new antenna.
The Sirio 827 vs the Imax 2000.
I see that there are a few models of the 827 and I think the newest is the 2016.
Does anyone know anything about the Sirio's?
I live in Vermont and using an old 99 that has to come down and was very happy with it.

Thanks

Henry

yea im also thinking of getting a sirio2016.tired of noisy fiberglass.
theres a guy bout 70 miles from me that runs onehe just loves it.
more i read bout it more i like it.imax is a good antenna swrs probaly a bit better
than your old a99.tx is slightly better and rx is litlle better but the little gain
ya recieved in rx is actually lost in noise.

the 827 outperforms the imax without groundplanes and is usually stronger than the imax in bad winds,
it is a pretty heavy strong antenna, the base section is fat and thick walled, built like a tank compared to any cb antenna i ever owned,
you do need the anti vibration ring to stop the radials working loose or the antenna howling and driving you nuts if its fastened to the house,
the 827 is by far the strongest antenna sirio make and the second best performer behind the vector 4000 in our tests,

there is a problem with them which nobody on cb forums in the uk ever talks about but virtually everybody local to me has issues with and that is the hubs erode and the antennas go open circuit, they also use dissimilar metals which is a terrible idea, copper coil direct to mickeymouse aluminum hubs,
you unkey and you have no receive, briefly keyup/flick the mic and rx comes back, if you use more than 300w fm they dont seem to last long, keep using it and they just get worse untill your vswr starts jumping around and you blow up your amplifier,
of the dozens used locally only a couple that i recall did not have the same o/c problem and they were the first 827's to arrive in the uk, a few claim the first ones were heavier made than the later 827's they replaced them with,
experienced locals sell them at the first sign of trouble and buy a new 827 or an imax,

heres some pics of my 827 stripped for repaire because it went o/c,

sirio 827 pictures by ukmudduck - Photobucket

the sirio 2008/2012/2016 series are weak made, they work ok but like all the other sirio base endfed antennas discounting the 827 they are just too weak in bad weather for me to ever recommend one,
if you live in a low wind area then any of them would be ok, if you live in a high wind/ice area then an i10k would work out cheaper in the long run and have better performance;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.