• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Skip to Ireland 03/14/13

mechanic

Mar 4, 2009
North coast of the USA.... Da UP!
Made a short video of my contact with a DX station from Ireland on 27.395. Using my "old" Cobra 135 base, a 23 channel modified to 46 channels with five channel span on the voice lock! Not too bad to tune in a station with this "slider"!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e10j-JHIZJw?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

73! Rod 506 Michigan aka mechanic

Last edited:

Is that a 3/4 turn pot for the voice-lock

Yes it is, 7:00 to 5:00 and covers 5 channels, better than 50 kHz.... Seems to be scrunched up a bit between 7:00 and 1:00 but is not real touchy.... One has to move it slowly but it stays put!
From what I know the opening of the voice lock on this old transceiver is simple, just have to turn a small variable capacitor. Seems it is a VFO with-in a VFO!
The channels expansion was easy to do as it was switching one crystal to another with an extra switch. It has a small variable cap to make adjustments for frequency span. This is a crystal synthesized rig and uses a 6x4x4 group of crystals for channels and more for offsets. It cost 479 dollars in 1973 and that translates to more than 900 dollars in today's funds! :eek:

73 mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.