• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SkyARROW 250

Sparky67

Jan 5, 2021
Hi all,

Newbie to CB here... I have a SkyARROW 250 on my bench at the moment which I have been unable to source a service manual for, just a cct from another forum, and a better copy emailed to me from the USA. It originally lit up on switch-on but wouldn’t receive or transmit for a few minutes after switch-on. The 1st mixer VCO input is very unstable, just touching the chassis or the PCB shifts the frequency, which I’m guessing is in the 38MHz region? Due to that the channel input to the PLL divider is unstable so the PLL isn’t locked. It now doesn’t receive, and transmits very intermittently. Can’t see any dry joints or obvious faults. It uses the LC7131 PLL and TA7310 as the XCOs/VCOs and LO mixers. Are there any known issues with xtals or these chips as they get old? Or components or coils covered in wax?

Hope someone can help.

Many thanks.

Sparky67
DD095794-6CBC-4C19-8773-758581D7FE08.jpeg

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

This little guy is hard to find anything on.

The face is the same as the Wagner 309, except with FM instead of PA. Similar units are the "Cobra GTL149", Pearce Simpson Super Jaguar MKII, or the Ferris CB8000.

I'm including a link to the Wagner 309 owner's manual, which has a schematic on the last page. How close that is to the SkyArrow 250 is anybody's guess. Could be spot on except for FM, could be a completely different board.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1168741/Wagner-309.html

Other than that I can't any service info for this beast.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
Thanks all. The screws have all been tightened. The antenna socket fixings linking to the main board made the most difference, but it’s still very unstable unfortunately. Checked the Wagner info, it certainly looks the same on the outside but has a different PLL and VCO arrangement inside. Maybe a later, improved version? The synth freqs it uses might be similar so will double-check that against those I have worked out.

The schematic has ‘Suruga Engineering & Mfg Co’ on it, which might be a clue as to other badges?

The fact that, at first, it took about 3 minutes before the Tx and Rx started working is really baffling me...

Think I need to get the audio back first. That might, hopefully, lead to a component which was originally failing and was on the edge, and which finally gave up.

All the best,

Sparky67

Reactions: Retro CB Guy

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated