• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SkyThumper Mic

BigDaddy105

Jul 19, 2011
Charleston, WV
Ive heard alot of good things about the Sky thumper mic. Anyone own one and can give me a short review. Im new here to the forum. Hope to meeto some other fellow CBers!

Bigdaddy105
West (By God) Virginia
i

Never owned or used one of the SkyThumper mics. However, a local friend of mine uses either the SkyThumper, a RoadKing 56, or an Astatic D104 in his mobile station. I can tell when the ST is being used. The sound that I hear out of my end of the radio is a mic that is modulating the crap out of the radio he is using. It is probably the loudest noise-cancelling mic I have ever heard - IMO. Louder than the RK 56 without any doubt.

I am not the guy that uses noise cancelling mics. I don't drive a truck. I drive a late model Honda CR-V which is a pretty quiet ride. I use a RF Limited CR-577 mic; which is a mix of a power mic like the D104 and a RoadKing 56. It works best when I keep it close to my mouth - unlike a D104 that can be used up to a couple of feet away. But the frequency response of the 577 is better than the D104 and doesn't have the noise problems it has.

I have owned and used a RoadKing 56, and so has my friend. These mics have a fuller frequency response than the ST. The ST response is pretty narrow but very powerful. If I had to chose between a ST and a RoadKing 56; I would pick the RK. The difference is really in the price you pay for either mic. I think that if you make a living at driving; then I would go with the RK. Perhaps the ST as a backup. The ST isn't a bad mic at all. The RK is a classic and probably the most sought after and used noise-cancelling mic from what I hear from truck drivers. You can do better with the RK that the ST is all.

This isn't a review but an observation based entirely on what I have heard for myself. The ST is far cheaper than the RK. Depends on how much quality you need to do your job - I guess . . .

Don't like the sound of a 636 or a RoadDevil either - JMO. I would pick the ST over those two mics - any day.

SkyThumper Microphone

Attachments

• ze1_13__30774_zoom.JPG
    ze1_13__30774_zoom.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmover
Agreed!

I have used all the above mics you listed. I really like the RK as well. I currently use a 636 in my mobile with my Stryker and it does ook, just sounds alittle "tinny". Not as much as the D104, but tinny none the less.

In my unscientific tests I have found the ST is equivalent to a D104 set on 7 but offers the noise canceling feature and no worries of the battery. I Have always preferred the RK 56 but have been using the ST more lately as I hear better reports than with my 56's. Just be sure to turn the mic gain down some when you start using it.

I think CBRadiomagazine dude said the switch was a problem with that mic. I think he has a review of it; you might check. Have no reason to doubt the switch failure. Never owned one. But it sure will rattle your rear fillings when you hear someone using it on the radio. Very loud and semi-metallic sound. I still like the RK 56 better.

Last edited:
I think those ASTATIC 636L are nice aswell as a few of the proffesional models you dont see available at retail stores and sites. Ill have to look around here I have some hanmd mics still in there original boxes from ASTATIC Ill have to see what models they are.

they work great on SSB i use the skythumper with my all my RCI radios and also with my Galaxy 95T i get great reports on the audio even when i work 10 meters with the amature audiophiles better be correct there or they will let you know. i've been using them for about 3 years with out a problem. the road king is another great one a little more base or tone but they have a switch problem as well thats why you see so many RK switches on ebay for sale. quality of the skythumper is not as good as the RK but they work great.

As most of us know a microphones sound on the receiving end is heavily dependent on the timbre and tone of the individual voice using it. That said; I own both Skythumper and the Road King K56. I have never been on the receiving end of a direct comparison between the two but the feedback I get from most of the locals around here when I transmit with them say the Road King has more of a deeper bass tone than the ST. The downside to the RK however is that you practically have to swallow it on order to overcome is noise cancelling capabilities. Plus I have to run my mic gain considerably higher to get the proper modulation. The Skythumper is a very loud mic. It’s also more forgiving when it comes to the “mic to mouth” distance. I don’t consider either one of them my “mic of choice” by any means but if I had to choose between the two only taking in to consideration the playing characteristics only I’d go with the Skythumper for me personally.
:D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.