• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Slinky dipole...I might just have to play with this!

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I saw this listing on ebay. I've heard of these, but never seen one. For $20, I might have to just buy this and play with it. If nothing else, it would get some laughs and funny looks by others! Too bad propogation sucks so bad right now. I love it when you operate in a public area and use something odd for an antenna and blow peoples minds with who you can talk to with the strangest antenna.

HOT! 10-80 SUPER SLINKY HF HAM RADIO DX Dipole Antenna - eBay (item 270303561795 end time Dec-15-08 13:03:25 PST)

Put it up nice and high, broadside to the prevailing wind. Then watch your SWR change with wind gusts.

Got any moderately large birds, like crows? Wait for one of them to land on it. SWR might never return to where you want it.

LOL, yeah I know that will be a problem! I think running a rope through it that is pulled tight might help some. It still seems like something fun to mess with, if nothing else than for a laugh.

I ran a slinky longwire in my apartment attic when I was first married. I soldered two slinkies together and stretched it out the full length of the attic space. It worked but like Beetle said the SWR is touchy to movement. I swear the SWR would change whenever a mouse marched by it. Oh, it created one hell of a high voltage at the far end too!

...and if/when you get tired of it, you can always kick it down the stairs.
- 'Doc

(didn't look at the picture. If it's the one with the choke on it, it'll need a fairly 'hefty' kick to get it going down them stairs.)

Oh!
And after it's been stretched for a while, don't drop it. You won't believe the snarl it'll wind it's self into..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.