• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

small beam

stealman

Apr 15, 2005
i don't have a lot of space to put a big beam can tell me what i can use i was thinking about getting a smokin gun 2

Hey there Stealman..There's quite a few small beams on the market......I ran a SuperHawk by Signal Engineering........Properply tuned and installed.........It's a kick @ss little beam......check this link out on them.
http://www.signalengineering.com/
Towards lower end of page, there's a link "Signal Engineering Beams Vs. Conventional".........Nice little info on it........What I like about it is the size and it has dual polarity. Flatside for DXn' as well as Vertical for your local chattering........I used a inexpensive rotor on it....There's not much weight, on these guys........Also, We get some pretty fierce winds out here in Reno, and it has surrived up in 70+.......Marconi helped me out alot with install........What ever you decide, good luck to ya bud........Just my 2cts 8)

The smokin gun II over rated , 3 element gizmochy, or 2 elemnt quad, 3 element yagi would be way better the joe gun II. I have had the 3elemnt gizmochy and 3 elemnet yagi , I like the yagi better becuase i can run the yagi on the horizonal and put a imax 2000 on top of it and not have any swr problems . Another plus to that is you have everything on one tower and had to reflection problem with beam signal bouncig off a omni antenna

The Joe Gunn's are good antennas but I'm gonna have to agree with 124, way over priced and thier specs are over inflated. You can buy something just as good and less money.

I'm thinking of running the 3 element yagi or the Maco 103C this spring.........I'm curious what the boom length is on either one......and what the spread is on the reflector.....That little superHawk has only a 5 foot boom........and 13'7" from top to bottom on the backdoor......Very small for it's 2 element performance. I didn't have a lot of room when I used it and it was perfect for me....The way I had it mounted, I had a lot of obstructions in the way, and the quad is very forgiving with SWR's in that aspect wich suited my needs.........I've never ran a yagi or Maco on the flatside, but I want to choose the best and put one up this spring.......I still have the quad, but I damaged some parts when I took it down to move into my new house. It's unoperatable do to my uninstall........(Too many Beers) :p .....LOL............73's all

if u want something with vertical and horizonal go with a 3 element Gizmochy or if u just 1 polorization go for the maco m-103 and u can mount it what ever polorization u choose

Antenna's

Phil501 said:
I'm thinking of running the 3 element yagi or the Maco 103C this spring.........I'm curious what the boom length is on either one......and what the spread is on the reflector.....That little superHawk has only a 5 foot boom........and 13'7" from top to bottom on the backdoor......Very small for it's 2 element performance. I didn't have a lot of room when I used it and it was perfect for me....The way I had it mounted, I had a lot of obstructions in the way, and the quad is very forgiving with SWR's in that aspect wich suited my needs.........I've never ran a yagi or Maco on the flatside, but I want to choose the best and put one up this spring.......I still have the quad, but I damaged some parts when I took it down to move into my new house. It's unoperatable do to my uninstall........(Too many Beers) :p .....LOL............73's all

Phil, I have found that the combination of a flatside beam and a vertical like the A99 or Imax is good, the vertical lets you hear everything around you and then you can just flick the switch to go flatside.

Murray

Re: Antenna's

Old Pirate56 said:
Phil501 said:

Phil, I have found that the combination of a flatside beam and a vertical like the A99 or Imax is good, the vertical lets you hear everything around you and then you can just flick the switch to go flatside.

Murray

That's why i set mine up like that

total length is 11.4 ft reflecter to driver is 7.3 ft driver to director is 4.1 ft

element lengths

reflector 18ft 3 inches 6ft 1.5 inches on each side

driver 17.4 ft , 5ft 8 inches on each side

director 16ft 6 inches , 5ft 3 inches on each side

i had the signal engineering super hawk and it was a great little quad. turned it with a tv rotor it held up great for 2 winters here in the frozen tundra of the deagaba system. i actually replaced a 3 ele. beam with it. the superhawk had better rejection and bandwidth.

Phil501 said:

i had the super hawk that was a small beam but it did some wonders when i had it..

phil call signal enginering and ask for the parts..when i called for my parts i had it the following week thats when i was in hawaii i sold it to my neighbor.
i also want a small beam but need one that can do both vertical
and horzontal to talk 30 miles down the hilly terain.maybe another superhawk

LIMITED SPACE

DO LIKE I DID I HAVE ALOT OF TREES IN MY YARD AND LIMITED SPACE AND I GOT A 3FT TRIPOD FROM RADIO SHACK AND PUT MY M-103 ON TOP OF MY HOUSE AND MY HOUSE IS 40FT AND I TALK SKIP ALL DAY LONG ....

Or
Visit Cubex Website and Check the 2Element Quad that only weights 8 Lbs.,5 Ft Boom Lenght and is around $160.00 + Shipping.
I own one and I have very good success.

Tecnicoloco
de 73.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.