• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Smokey 23 channel troubleshooting no tx/rx

If it DOES INDEED get there........
If there is ANY way that you can.....
take a shot of each page of the schematic.... if you have to split and take half pages... try to make sure that you "overlap" so I can work from page to page.

If you can do that.... I can start looking at the pics and see if I can develop the steps we need.....first things to check......

Remarkably USPS got it here quicker. It is supposed to be delivered today....but you know how that goes. I will probably tinker with it a bit but there's no rush. We can pick it up again this weekend. I really do appreciate the help you've provided and for keeping me in the loop.

If it DOES INDEED get there........
If there is ANY way that you can.....
take a shot of each page of the schematic.... if you have to split and take half pages... try to make sure that you "overlap" so I can work from page to page.

If you can do that.... I can start looking at the pics and see if I can develop the steps we need.....first things to check......
OK sounds good. It says it is out for delivery at the moment. If it makes it I'll take a few pictures tonight and send them to you to see if they are adequate or if I need to make changes. If you give me the go then I'll go through and do the whole deal.

My book came today and I just spliced the schematic together tonight. Within the next few days I'll post all the other pages in PDF.
ACT - 1914.jpg

Reactions: guitar_199
Could I put in a vote for including the individual schematic pages anyway? Sometimes it pays to have those individual drawings to allow better "focusing in" on a particular area.

I, for one, very much appreciate this deed you are doing!

Bob

My book came today and I just spliced the schematic together tonight. Within the next few days I'll post all the other pages in PDF.
View attachment 44643

Could I put in a vote for including the individual schematic pages anyway? Sometimes it pays to have those individual drawings to allow better "focusing in" on a particular area.

I, for one, very much appreciate this deed you are doing!

Bob
Were you able to zoom in on that schematic at different levels? For me, focusing in on a particular area is all about the zoom. As long as the original scan is set at a high resolution, it’s like being in the schematic world of Google maps. It’s at a high enough resolution that I generally don’t need to zoom in further than 80%. Screen capture prints are also possible at any level. If you're having trouble zooming in and out with whatever browser or program you're using, I'll place it inside a PDF.

Were you able to zoom in on that schematic at different levels? For me, focusing in on a particular area is all about the zoom. As long as the original scan is set at a high resolution, it’s like being in the schematic world of Google maps. It’s at a high enough resolution that I generally don’t need to zoom in further than 80%. Screen capture prints are also possible at any level. If you're having trouble zooming in and out with whatever browser or program you're using, I'll place it inside a PDF.
The schematic looks great!

Reactions: Dmans
This is the rest of the manual. To save space plus decrease file size. I combined the last two pages and removed some of the worthless information. I noticed they forgot to include the resistors in the parts list, they only listed the pots. At least they're in the pictorials. I'm also collecting all your posted photos to complete my archive.

Attachments

• SMOKEY-ROMAR ACT-1914 SM.pdf
    13.2 MB · Views: 14
Just to recap what was found. Ultimately 3 transistors were found to be defective Q6, Q12 and Q13. A defective 10.625 Crystal was also found. The back swing on the meter was found to be the result of the meter wired backwards. After running the radio for a while transmit dropped out entirely on all channels. A defective transistor was found at Q15. Currently the radio is operational. A huge thanks to guitar_199 and sunbulls for all of their help!

That’s great! I was thinking about asking about your progress, but got sidetracked. Normally you wouldn’t find that many transistor failures outside the proverbial blown final. Those transistors must have been damaged when things were shorted or miswired.

Reactions: Champo

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.