• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Smokey 23 channel troubleshooting no tx/rx

To be honest a) I only looked to find that marking.... ACT 1914... I did not go over solder joints..... and b) I am not sure that I could see well enough. When I say whisker..... I literally mean a whisker of anything conductive.

I can take a look but I would bet that if I can see it in the picture... you already would have!!!! :)

To be honest a) I only looked to find that marking.... ACT 1914... I did not go over solder joints..... and b) I am not sure that I could see well enough. When I say whisker..... I literally mean a whisker of anything conductive.

I can take a look but I would bet that if I can see it in the picture... you already would have!!!! :)
Lol fair enough. I can fully appreciate that! I'll have to poor over it under the mag. I'm sure it's something I screwed up. I just hope it isn't something irreparable.

You were right! It's in cb-104. I was clicking on the different photos from ebay sellers and ironically one took a picture of it!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210505-151040_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210505-151040_eBay.jpg
    575.6 KB · Views: 6
This one little spot....right in the middle at the very bottom looks a little odd.....
almost like the copper pad is gone....but there is solder to the right of it...and a component lead coming out of the hole......

Can you take a look there and see what it looks like to you?

Spot-1.png

This one little spot....right in the middle at the very bottom looks a little odd.....
almost like the copper pad is gone....but there is solder to the right of it...and a component lead coming out of the hole......

Can you take a look there and see what it looks like to you?

View attachment 44545
I have to duck out for a bit and go pick up the kid but I will as soon as I get back. That was untouched by me but not to say board flex from me working on the board didn't dislodge something. Not to mention I had an initial problem prior to me potentially creating more.

So THAT does look like yours????
IF so......GOOD DEAL! If you can grab that ...then you will have the whole thing, circuit, board layouts, alignment..... the whole thing!

Great news.

You were right! It's in cb-104. I was clicking on the different photos from ebay sellers and ironically one took a picture of it!

Nothing special..... I just have a mind that likes to hunt for things and solve mysteries.

We have YET to get the radio going!!!!!! Hopefully this will be a big step.....

By the way..... do you happen to have another radio that works.... for some of the "testing" ??? If you do that could be a big bonus....... with some very inexpensive parts....and I mean "pennies".... you could throw together an RF probe that could connect to your meter. THAT way... you could "see" places where RF is getting ...and where it is not.

One or two other questions if you don't mind......

Let's talk about what the radio DOES do!!!

1) does it light up when you power it on? the meter light? or maybe LEDs on the front?

2) assuming it has a PA spkr jack... do you have an earphone that you can plug into it....or even a speaker....and tell me whether the PA works or not? (While you may have already ruled it out...... microphone problems CAN cause NO RX/TX issues!)

3) when it is on....do you get ANY SEMBLANCE of noise out of the speaker..... clicks or noise when you change the channel selector...or "pops" when you key the microphone?

I may think of more later......

B

It may scare you to hear this..... but the guys on here......have FORGOTTEN more than I will EVER KNOW about these radios. I just try to "stay afloat".

But I am also curious.....were you able to examine the spot that I pointed out? That REALLY looks like a component lead ...coming out of a plain "hole in the board" with no copper pad around it...and that could be bad depending on where it is in the circuit.

Bear in mind, my scope of vision is somewhat limited....my eyes could be deceived!

But I am also curious.....were you able to examine the spot that I pointed out? That REALLY looks like a component lead ...coming out of a plain "hole in the board" with no copper pad around it...and that could be bad depending on where it is in the circuit.

Bear in mind, my scope of vision is somewhat limited....my eyes could be deceived!
I had to duck out really quick to pick up my son so I didn't have an opportunity to look at that spot but I will as soon as I get back. I have several other radios that are operational ( Yaesu Ft-891, Uniden 78, cobra 50wxst) and a Galaxy 959 that has issues...possibly a blown final. Right now all the radio does is come on and illuminate the meter and channel selector with a slight static, about half the level, from the internal speaker. PA in inoperable. The external speaker has a high pitched oscillating or motor boat sound. If certain spots at the front of the board are probed the volume from the speaker increases and can then be squelched. If you try to transmit the receive light in the meter shuts off but there is no carrier (like there was before), no modulation and the transmit light does not illuminate. I don't remember if the transmit light was operational to begin with. The cb/pa switch appears to work. Also, I believe Sunbulls was correct about the mic wiring. It is similar but not entirely the same as the Midland. Now that we know the model I was able to find the mic wiring via Astatic and it looks like 5 wires are used on a 4 pin plug setup.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210505-154711_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210505-154711_Drive.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20210505-154923_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210505-154923_Google.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 1
I had to duck out really quick to pick up my son so I didn't have an opportunity to look at that spot but I will as soon as I get back. I have several other radios that are operational ( Yaesu Ft-891, Uniden 78, cobra 50wxst) and a Galaxy 959 that has issues...possibly a blown final. Right now all the radio does is come on and illuminate the meter and channel selector with a slight static, about half the level, from the internal speaker. PA in inoperable. The external speaker has a high pitched oscillating or motor boat sound. If certain spots at the front of the board are probed the volume from the speaker increases and can then be squelched. If you try to transmit the receive light in the meter shuts off but there is no carrier (like there was before), no modulation and the transmit light does not illuminate. I don't remember if the transmit light was operational to begin with. The cb/pa switch appears to work. Also, I believe Sunbulls was correct about the mic wiring. It is similar but not entirely the same as the Midland. Now that we know the model I was able to find the mic wiring via Astatic and it looks like 5 wires are used on a 4 pin plug setup.
Also there is a pop from the speaker when the channel selector is rotated of the cb/pa switch is cycled.

Also there is a pop from the speaker when the channel selector is rotated of the cb/pa switch is cycled.
Also if the mic adapter combo I have is removed you lose what little sound is present from the speaker. Keying the mic mutes what little sound is present in the speaker but no click or pop. I think everything was operational before I touched it and it was a mic issue all along. Now I just need to undo whatever damage I caused.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?