• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sniffer

H

hossless

Hey BNT, I did this with my pickup truck (much noise coming in through antenna). I had a friend stay in the cab of the pickup with the cb radio turned on with volume up high, engine running. I disconnected the coax from the antenna and took that end of coax around to various parts of the truck holding the coax end close to the fuel pump, computer, fuel injector - you get my drift. You should be able to determine where some of the causes of your noise problems are coming from. If you don't have someone to help you, you will probably need the headphones. You may be able to do it with just the key in the on position, you can try it both ways.

Hossless

</p>

Use the spare coax, but strip away some of the shield to leave a couple inches or so of the center conductor exposed. That will probably be a little more sensitive.

Moleculo

</p>

Does anyone know how to make a sniffer to locate the source of RFI?

I meet a guy on his way to the Ham Fest in Akron, Oh that gave me some basics but I'm not sure on the exact details.

His method consisted of using headphones and a long coax hooked to a radio. That's about all I know.

Galaxy DX44V

Galaxy DX73V

Ranger 2950

Gray 300 AB Biased

2X4 HomeBrew

RK 56 Astatic 636L

MonkeyMade Antenna

Stargun Antenna

140 Leece Neville

4X750 Batteries

</p>

Hello Big Nasty Trucker:

The "Snifer" technique is a hands on way of isolating the noise, and will take some pratice to master.

Using the coax and the radio to sniff the noise can be done but needs some explanation to use it. And you do "NOT" want to transmit with the sniffer coax attached to the radio.

Suggest you hook up a length of coax as Moleculo suggested. A length of coax that is connected to the radio antenna connector. and the other end can be wired two ways, for two functions.

Having the center wire exposed, say a inch or 1/2 inch will allow some energy to picked up by the radio. This will allow you to find the noise sorce in its general location.

Remember the radio is designed to hear RF signals in the 26 to 28 Mhz range, depending on the radio, but the cheaper radios will also allow audio frequency signals in thru the receiver so you will hear noise and signals not in the RF Range of frequencies. But still the radio can be used a great sniffer, especially if it has a RF Gain that can be turned down to allow you have a not so hot receiver which is what it takes sometimes to isolate and identify the noise sorce.

I have used a small Transistor AM/FM Radio to look for noise under the hood of a few vehicles, all I could tell was yeah there was noise coming from under the hood but could not tell where it was coming from because the little Transistor (8 dollar Radio Shack Radio) was too darn sensitive. It was depositied into Mr Trash can, the same place I put Gamma Matches....... BTW

With the ability to reduce the sensitivity of the receiver with the RF Gain control, and the sniffer coax, while listening to the speaker, is a major neat O thing in isolating where the noise is coming from.

The sniffer coax can even have the center wire having a 1/2 inch exposed loop, soldered to the shield. Again not for trasmitting into. But this will give even more attenuation in the sniffer received signal that may be needed, as the noise source may be quit loud, putting out a lot of RF Noise Energy! But this attenuated ability might just be what the Doctor ordered to allow you isolate the noise souce. And you can always turn up thre RF Gain if need be.

With the sniffer coax, you can test the pick up sensitivity by placing it near the coil, or even engine computer, or even the alternator.

When the souce is found, its power leads can have a .01 or .1 uF Capacitor connected to the power lead and ground. This called bypassing the power lead with a Capacitor. A Snap on Toroid Core can have a few windings of the power wire also helping in reducing the noise be transmitted.

Moleculo has had some pretty good results with the noise cancelling speakers, installed in his Jeep. He showd me how some of the noises where significantly reduced or even taken out. Pretty impressive.

The ARRL has great book on RFI, (Radio Frequency Interference) will worth the price. There are at www.arrl.org

You might have to type in RFI Book in the search window.

Good luck. Its always neat to have someone come back and tell all the radio enthusiats what was the fix.

Jay in the Mojave

www.a1antennas.com

</p>

I used a piece of coax with pl259's still connected, one end attatched to radio, this worked very well - picked up every and any noise source.

Hossless

</p>

did that once and I think I blew up the transistor radio , everything under my hood made noise , the alternator made the most , I felt like I was just wasting my damned time !! , thank good for radios with good anl's and nb's in them , for with out those , I'd be up poop creek without a paddle , at least in this car I would. That's like the time I put caps on my electric fan , yeah it might have helped some , but I really felt like I wasted my time just one more time. This is when I truly realized that I just wasn't that hard up when it came to my radios , works good enough with the noise blankers for me , I remember the time I use the little transistor , my neighbor had walked by and asked me if I was alright ? I guess it looked a little strange to him , I suppose I could see why.

Switch Kit said:
did that once and I think I blew up the transistor radio , everything under my hood made noise , the alternator made the most , I felt like I was just wasting my damned time !! , thank good for radios with good anl's and nb's in them , for with out those , I'd be up poop creek without a paddle , at least in this car I would. That's like the time I put caps on my electric fan , yeah it might have helped some , but I really felt like I wasted my time just one more time. This is when I truly realized that I just wasn't that hard up when it came to my radios , works good enough with the noise blankers for me , I remember the time I use the little transistor , my neighbor had walked by and asked me if I was alright ? I guess it looked a little strange to him , I suppose I could see why.
Try to rid a Acert Caterpillar engine of RFI :x :x :x :x :x :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.