• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SNOWCAP AMPS ?

Switch Kit

Apr 6, 2005
Over the last few years I've heard the good the bad and the ugly concerning these amps .....What's really going on with them ? Guy's understandabley moaning and groaning about paying for them and never receiving them ? So what's really going on with these amps ? ......If guys are willing to up the money on them before they receive them .....Does this mean they are good amps from the get go if you end up getting yours ? Now .....I've personally done business with this Chris D. from Colorodo on a few accasions but it was him paying me and not the other way around so I personally never had a beef with the dude ....as a matter of fact ,nothing but praise coming from me ....when a guy pays ASAP to me and claims he's happy .....9 times out of 10 IM a happy camper !! ......So tell me guy's .....What's really going on with these Snowcap Amps and there maker ? Switch Kit

sk

SK.....Im like you, I have sold him a few things and he paid really fast and liked what he got.I have heard some nightmare stories about guys that paid and didnt get their stuff. I bought a three pill from him a while back and received it right away and it worked well.I must have been one of the lucky ones. I was a little disapointed of the appearance of the box but the numbers were what they were supposed to be, so I have no complaint. I traded it to a local here and he is tickled pink with it.He has been running it for nearly a year now without a problem. Like I said I must have been one of the lucky ones.
I feel for the dudes that either got ripped off or had to wait for a ridiculous amount of time though.

I was yet another luck one the first time i bought from him. I made payments on the amp so thats why it took a little longer to get here BUT 2 weeks after i got it all payed off it was at the post office waiting for me. I dont know how many people on this forum have heard me but all i run is my little snowcap 2 pill. I just sold my 4 pill so i dont know how that worked but i was told who heard the amp that it sounded great. He is also a trucker now but that doesnt mean he should make people wait 6 months for their amp! But im happy with it so thats all that counts!

Well then ,they must be decent amps all the same , sounds like the guy tends to get a little bit to busy to fillful his oblagations to others in a quicker manner ? ......Maybe it's just one of those things ? .....Good things happen to those that have the patiance to wait ? (-:

CDX197 said:
I was yet another luck one the first time i bought from him. I made payments on the amp so thats why it took a little longer to get here BUT 2 weeks after i got it all payed off it was at the post office waiting for me. I dont know how many people on this forum have heard me but all i run is my little snowcap 2 pill. I just sold my 4 pill so i dont know how that worked but i was told who heard the amp that it sounded great. He is also a trucker now but that doesnt mean he should make people wait 6 months for their amp! But im happy with it so thats all that counts!

Question, was or wasn't this the situation that you posted about all over the boards and had even considered traveling to his doorstep?

I bought a 2 pill 2879 Snowcap with Hi Lo and switched SSB several years ago. He was a very cool guy to talk to on the phone and was a good guy to do business with.

Now the amplifier. First off it came with a #2 welders cable ground and a #2 stereo shop type positive line. What the he!!, on a 2 pill. I was not at all set up to work with such large wire so that set me back acouple of days. I think #8 or #6 would have been plenty.

The amp was very well made and the board was very clean and neat. The blue paint was ok but kinda cheap looking. The amp seemed to get good on-air reports as well. I did two shootouts against a Texas Star 35HDV in the mobile and got smoked.......bad....very bad.

With my 2 pill Joker I stomped several Texas Star 350's, Palomar 400, and a Palomar 600 to name afew. Needless to say i'm kinda ticked off. I took it to a local tech who has all the right equipment. On the bench at 14 volts woth a Cobra 2000 driving it into a dummy load the Snowcap was doing
260-270 watts. Heck thats what my Magna Force 200 does..........with 2290's.

Bottom line, nice guy, kinda slow, well built amplifier, very middle of the road performance at best.

Wow 260-270w from 2-2879's?? Thats not good at all....WOW

Ur right a 2-2290 amp should do 300w peak
A 2-2879 amp should do 400w peak both being class C ....
And tuned properly....

AM POWER

What?

I know it redlines at six and a half, but it goes up to nine, and the peg isn't until around 10...

:arrow:

Wow 260-270w from 2-2879's?? Thats not good at all....WOW

Ur right a 2-2290 amp should do 300w peak
A 2-2879 amp should do 400w peak both being class C ....
And tuned properly....

AM POWER
Not everyone's radio swings up to 25+ watts. And not everybody runs at 14V all the time!

We went with 14 volts because thats what the average Joe will have in his mobile. If I remember right the Cobra 2000 was doing a clean 18 watts PEP. Bottom line is any custom built 2 pill 2879 amplifier should be able to key on a Texas Star 350HDV. All my ducks were in a row, good instalation, low SWR, Exellent ground plane, smoken dual final radio, and so on and I still lost. The other guy half a$$ installed his stuff. Several weeks later I got him with a 2 pill Davemade with 2290's......go figure.

Well, at first I thought RD was on the "Up & up". Took about 3 or 4 months worth of excuses, before I got what I order'ed. Which was a 3-pill, and a 6-pill. Had problems right off the bat with the 3-pill. Sent it back, a few months later RD sends me a 2-pill. To use as a driver. Amps worked ok for a while, but then kept blowing pill's...Took the amp's to a respectable shop here in Dallas area, only to be told how "Trashy" the amps were...

Now, Im use to shop's saying things like this, trying to get ya to "trade your's in" and buy one of their's. But when you have more than 2 or 3 different people say the same thing's about the amp, and then show you on their test equipment what their talking about, so you can "See for yourself", then you tend to agree with what their saying...

The one thing that I will say for RD, is after I told him I realy wasnt happy with the amp's, he did buy them back from me, for what I had payed him, to start with.

The amp's I had, never even came close to running the kind of watt's, that he was claimimg they would. The price was right, as for as what he was charging for them. Which was about 3/4 of what everyone else charges for the same size box's...But his also would'nt do what everyone else's does...

Box's I run now, I have never had the kind of problems with, like I did the Snowcap's. Not to say I have'nt had problems, But if I do, I just drive over to Peakaboo's, and get everything back up and running again within a few hours, instead of a few months.;)

Ok,

That down right "hurts" when you say you can just drive over too Boo's ;) JJD... ;) ;)

Here it is close to the "Holidays" ... folks are feeling festive :LOL: :LOL: , Mr.Boo and Mr.Pain are back on the "AIR" ;) :D :D ,talking about "warm soldering irons" and such :idea: :idea: :!: .........2006 looks to be a great year for all those good 'lil boys and girls out in" DX Land" ;) 8) 8)

Snoope back hiding in the snow...Ho-Ho-Ho

I did take measurements in the" Granite" for a "Small" diamond plated box..... ;) :LOL:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.