• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

So I came into a NOS of a Heil HC-5 Mic Cartridge

Onelasttime

Aug 3, 2011
I am thinking it would be fantastic to toss into a hand mic body and use mobile. I have not used one before but it sure seems like it would be a good fit for mobile use especially on SSB?

Am I wrong? If it is not a good fit I can toss it in desk mic for base use as well.

I could not find any video or sound gates and could not find any youtube video's or audio samples online so I am just going off the data sheet.

I am thinking about using it on my President Lincoln in my car.

If anyone has any recording of it in use it would be nice to get some idea of what is sounds like. Data sheets really do not do a good job describing a mic cartridge. It is like trying to pick a high-performance car just on engine horsepower, torque and lateral acceleration number's.

Features of the HC-5 "The Key Element" (Blue Label)
  • The HC-5 is the microphone cartridge for everyday Rag Chewing.
  • Engineered with a frequency response designed for a fuller range of articulate voice clarity. Not mush, bassy, paging type audio, but clear, easy to understand SSB audio
  • This element actually places a 6dB rise at 2,000 Hz (a frequency the human ear is highly responsive to).

HC-5 Specifications:
  • Type: - Dynamic. Copper wound bobbin, moving coil transducer
  • Frequency: 300 Hz to 8,000 Hz with 6 dB rise at 2,000 Hz.
  • Sensitivity: -68 dB Nominal
  • Impedance: 2,000 ohms @ 1,000 Hz.

I am thinking it would be fantastic to toss into a hand mic body and use mobile. I have not used one before but it sure seems like it would be a good fit for mobile use especially on SSB?

Am I wrong? If it is not a good fit I can toss it in desk mic for base use as well.

I could not find any video or sound gates and could not find any youtube video's or audio samples online so I am just going off the data sheet.

I am thinking about using it on my President Lincoln in my car.

If anyone has any recording of it in use it would be nice to get some idea of what is sounds like. Data sheets really do not do a good job describing a mic cartridge. It is like trying to pick a high-performance car just on engine horsepower, torque and lateral acceleration number's.

The Lincoln is one of those few radio's that just "take" well with any mike. I think it'll sound fine with any element. Used a goldline with a Lincoln for years with great results.

Well I guess I will just have to take some mic bodies apart and see which on this element fits nicest in. I might be able to fit it in the OEM mic.

I put an HC-5 in the stock President hand mic housing, and it didn't have enough gain to modulate the radio well. It sounded fine, but didn't have enough oomph to get full output from the rig. Might work better with an amplified mic housing, but I ended up just going with a stock mobile D104 in it's place.

The HC-5 has good, full range sound unlike the HC-4, which is extremely limited in range in order tp maximize the punch for pile ups. Keep in mind that the HC-5 is a close talker!

Brett

I put an HC-5 in the stock President hand mic housing, and it didn't have enough gain to modulate the radio well. It sounded fine, but didn't have enough oomph to get full output from the rig. Might work better with an amplified mic housing, but I ended up just going with a stock mobile D104 in it's place.

The HC-5 has good, full range sound unlike the HC-4, which is extremely limited in range in order tp maximize the punch for pile ups. Keep in mind that the HC-5 is a close talker!

Brett
Thanks that is useful information for sure! Maybe I will just use it as a base mic since I have eq, noise gate, tube pre-amp etc....This way if it does need some amplification I already have it on hand. Yes with the low level modulation on the HRXXXX series and the like it does like a hotter dynamic mic gain wise. That is why so many people when I was in high school ran power mics on them. Back in 1991 the hot setup was the Minute Man D104M6 from Astatic. Obviously you did not need to turn the gain up much on the mic.

The only power mics I have are old Electro Voice and Shure hand mics and those have pretty good mic cartridges in them and they are all NOS. The Electro Voices are from Aviation they have built in amp and dynamic cartridges designed to be powered by the aircraft's Nav/Comm system. Not sure if they top out at 5Khz or 7Khz on those. The Shures I am not sure what they where designed for but they too have built in amp and dynamic element designed to be powered by the pa or radio they are plugged into. Well I have some old NOS Radio Shack pre-amped mics but those use tiny dynamic element if I am remembering right and I do not think I could fit the HC-5 in those housing. On top of that the Radio Shack power mics have some pretty aggressive noise filtering going on they sound slightly better than a Road Devil but still a little tinny.

I prob. will not be able to fit it in a high end mic body I will prob. need to use a regular mic body either something like a coffin style or a SRA198 etc.....Something with a fairly large mic cartridge but not a cartridge that is also part of the external mic body.

The Electro Voice 60X series the part with the lip guard and round external shape is actually the mic cartridge. The round external part is not part of the mic body it is actually part of the cartridge itself. If you had one that was not working you could cut it in half and re-stuff it but you would not want to cut a perfectly good working cartridge since they are pretty good as they are.

The Shures I have have very thin element it is almost as big as a D104 element but very thin.

I am sure if I dig enough I will find one that will be a nice fit. I just do not want to damage a fantastic mic just to stuff this in it. I have an old Astatic base mic has the SSB style deep head and no electronics at all in the base. It is in rough shape but that would have space to spare. I was going to toss a laboratory grades small diaphragm electret mic cartridge in it.

I was going to use the OEM mic becasue it is almost 20 years old and figured it was not great loss losing the OEM cartridge. Well I do not intend to die just yet so I have time I guess to find the right application for it!

So I either need a radio with really hot audio to start with or I am going to need to amplify the signal from the HC-5. I am not willing to increase the gain with component swaps or additions inside the Lincoln. I do have extra audio amps for it but prefer not to have to use them.

Reactions: 2RT307
I have heard an HC-4 but never an HC-5. I thought the HC-4 was perfect for DX, pile-up breaking and contesting in general. Sure it is a bit harsh but since I do not have and have never had talk it is not my problem! LOL

I used to use run a fairly stock mic on am but when I really wanted to talk SSB or I was out 4 wheeling out came my Radio Shack noise canceling power mic. It did for me what the HC-4 does for other's. It cut out the lows and boosted the highs again a bit metallic but boy could you hear me!

I was not rolling on Super Swampers or the like but was rolling on BF Goodwrech(sp) Desert Duelers and they could make some noise above 25 MPH and I often had my windows down at night when I lived in Ga. so a power mic did not make sense a lot of time.

All I knew about the HC-5 is that I remembered people telling me it was for rag chewing and general talking not contesting and was biased accordingly.

I found it very odd that could not find much on google about it. Normally I can find almost anything on google.

This weekend when I have the time I am thinking about seeing if I can fit the HC-5 into one of my Radio Shack Preamplified Mic's. I should build a substitution box so I can tune mics and such much faster with out all the trial fiting etc....

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
The mic you put the cartridge in will colour the sound to some extent, Heil's HMM fist mic was supposed cure the issue :((n)

the hc5 inside sounds hollow & plasticy talking into either grill when compared to the same cartridge installed in a goldline with 3 different radios 3 different operators,

late model d104m6 is the same, sealing around the cartridge with foam so there's no hollow plastic cavity behind it reduces the colouration,

Good point! I normally do that. For years I have been using synthetic pillow type stuff that the wife keeps on hand for quits and such.Heil sometimes puts far too much foam over an element!

Reactions: bob85
Sorry I have not tried this simple mod. As my father used to say when I was a kid " I have been as busy as a one-legged man in a butt kicking contest!". Sorry I have not forgotten guys! IN addition to sports, band, one son graduating AIT and twins and cutting down a 140 foot tall pine tree 3 feet from my new to me home I have a son with Borderline Personality DIsorder and as much as I love him he has had me so too stressed out to do much of anything else besides those things that absolutely must be done. I have not even turned a radio on this week. I also have not picked up an iron.

I am not sure what is worse how much he get's under my skin or how absolutely shitty he life will likely be because of this. Medication does not work for this and it is largely considered untreatable by most in mental health. I thought my PTSD which causes me to have terrible insomnia and panic attacks could be bad but I had a basis for what is normal and I am very mindful and aware or my emotions, thoughts, dreams, desires, the future. Before this, I often did not understand how he could see things as he does and often just chalked it up to him being a teenager! In fact, if I had acted the way he often does my Dad and most other men would have beat me to within an inch of my life I am sure.

Maybe if I think about of this during normal hours instead of 5am insomnia rant I will try to turn the iron on remove two screws and give it a go!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.