• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

So I want a Galaxy DX-979...

Is this going in a vehicle or is it going to be used as a base station? If it is for mobile use, I prefer the traditional style like the 979 because it has dedicated knobs for the different functions and once you learn where they are you don't even have to look at them while driving. For a base the newer menu driven units wouldn't be as much of a problem.
I have to agree. I hate the Stryker 955 because the face is so cluttered with controls and it has a terrible menu based system. The beauty of the HR2510 anf RCI 2950 was not just under the hood but the user interface. I could teach a monkey how to work a RCI2950 or HR-Series radio in just minutes! Once you know the radio's controls you can drive and work SSB no problem. I hate menu driven radio's because they are always Chinese and poorly executed. Just look at all the lag between the controller and the encoder on the 955 if you turn the knob too quickly the radio cannot keep up and acts as if you did not turn the encoder knob. That is unforgivable this is not the 1970's! As much as they charge for that radio it needs a much better faceplate, better programming, faster controller, better tactile encoder feel, second VFO for split function and a much better thought out menu system. Be nice to have real USB not RS-32. At the current price point, the radio is a shiny metallic flake turd but it has a lot of potentials!

So the Galaxy line has managed not to produce a user interface on any of their radio's that sucks as much as most Chinese radio's that are re-branded by others with different cosmetics.

Stryker would do well to let Ranger design a face plate or control head for the 955! LOL

I especially like the compact size of the 979 compared to all the other SSB CB radio's on the market.

Update:

I've been looking at all my options and I think I'm down to a used Yaesu FT-450D that I might be able to pick up for $400 or a new Galaxy DX-94HP. I know these are polar opposites but I like each one for their merits.

The Yaesu obviously gives me full HF use as well as 11M, and that's great because I'm a ham that loves to DX on HF and I could use it with the Yaesu ATAS-120A screwdriver. I travel to Colorado quite a bit and being able to sit in the truck and make QSOs would be nice. It's compact enough to fit on the dash but I'm not sure about exposing this kind of radio to the sun.

Now the Galaxy is a strong AM performer for use on the highway and is a bit smaller and more simple to use while still giving me 100+ watts out on SSB when I want it. I also don't feel as bad leaving this radio on the top of my dash on sunny days.

I'm going to try to get the Yaesu first, but if that falls through I'll probably go with the DX-94HP.

Update:

I've been looking at all my options and I think I'm down to a used Yaesu FT-450D that I might be able to pick up for $400 or a new Galaxy DX-94HP. I know these are polar opposites but I like each one for their merits.

The Yaesu obviously gives me full HF use as well as 11M, and that's great because I'm a ham that loves to DX on HF and I could use it with the Yaesu ATAS-120A screwdriver. I travel to Colorado quite a bit and being able to sit in the truck and make QSOs would be nice. It's compact enough to fit on the dash but I'm not sure about exposing this kind of radio to the sun.

Now the Galaxy is a strong AM performer for use on the highway and is a bit smaller and more simple to use while still giving me 100+ watts out on SSB when I want it. I also don't feel as bad leaving this radio on the top of my dash on sunny days.

I'm going to try to get the Yaesu first, but if that falls through I'll probably go with the DX-94HP.

The easiest solution is to get both of them. lol

Reactions: Slowmover
Update:

IMO.
The 450 is a no brainier. I always believed that HF'S didn't have the capacity to sound good on AM.
Boy was I wrong.
Two locals operate hf''s as their AM rigs.
One is a kenwood 570. Used with one of the cheapest heil mic's, and a ptt 11 (studio mic keyer, and stand.)
It sounds just as good or better than any export I've heard on AM.
The other local uses an icom 718 with a d104.
Both are EXCELLENT AM talkers.
It might take a bit of adjusting.
Finding the correct output, and audio adjustments in order to get a partial HF to sound good on AM is worth ever minute of having to fool with is a small price to pay considering what you're getting. Parametric EQ for lows, mids, and highs. Export black box "CB radio's" offier non of these optinons.
Once those settings are found the 450D will memorize the settings for each mode (AM/SSB) and many frequencies within that particular mode.
Not to mention the DSP and all the other recive options. Options you won't be getting on the DX94 HP.
I suspect even the stock (fist) mic that comes with an HF like the Yaesu 450D, will sound excellent on AM.
As far as SSB.
I'm sure no one will argue over the 450D's SSB superior abilities when compared to just about any export. Whichever you decide to choose I wish you luck. 73 s

Reactions: L2
IMO.
The 450 is a no brainier. I always believed that HF'S didn't have the capacity to sound good on AM.
Boy was I wrong.
Two locals operate hf''s as their AM rigs.
One is a kenwood 570. Used with one of the cheapest heil mic's, and a ptt 11 (studio mic keyer, and stand.)
It sounds just as good or better than any export I've heard on AM.
The other local uses an icom 718 with a d104.
Both are EXCELLENT AM talkers.
It might take a bit of adjusting.
Finding the correct output, and audio adjustments in order to get a partial HF to sound good on AM is worth ever minute of having to fool with is a small price to pay considering what you're getting. Parametric EQ for lows, mids, and highs. Export black box "CB radio's" offier non of these optinons.
Once those settings are found the 450D will memorize the settings for each mode (AM/SSB) and many frequencies within that particular mode.
Not to mention the DSP and all the other recive options. Options you won't be getting on the DX94 HP.
I suspect even the stock (fist) mic that comes with an HF like the Yaesu 450D, will sound excellent on AM.
As far as SSB.
I'm sure no one will argue over the 450D's SSB superior abilities when compared to just about any export. Whichever you decide to choose I wish you luck. 73 s
I’ve got an Icom 7300 with a PR-781 mic here in the shack. I do love the DSP and filtering that comes with a modern HF rig, but I think for the mobile the “big radio” CB will do just fine for my use. Maybe next year I’ll switch over to a full mobile HF station.

Reactions: Sonar
That is a whole other can of worms
Yes, it can be. I’m looking at Yeasu’s ATAS-120A screwdriver antenna that uses the radio for everything, power and control. Looks like as long as you have a good ground it’s a decent choice for 40M-10M and will not break the bank or drive you crazy setting it up. No, it’s not the best antenna you can get, but it’s a good compromise.

I don't run HF in the car anymore but when I did I used an ICOM 706MKIIG feeding a High Sierra SideKick Screwdriver. I replaced the top 36" whip with a 72" one, this greatly helped with tuning(the dip was not as shallow) and improved performance.

I’ve got an Icom 7300 with a PR-781 mic here in the shack. I do love the DSP and filtering that comes with a modern HF rig, but I think for the mobile the “big radio” CB will do just fine for my use. Maybe next year I’ll switch over to a full mobile HF station.
Several south Jersey locals have the same exact setup.
I'm positive some of those owners belong to this site.
Not all but most are ticket holders.
7300, and the pr781 is certainly an excellent match.
Every one of them sounds incredible!
A station in Philly uses the 7300 and a pr40. It also sounds sweet.
After opening their 7300's shipping boxes some operators decided to use the fist mic that the transciver came with.
Also sounded excellent.
I wouldn't be surprised if moleculo and his initial review on the 7300 convinced many site members to purchase one (7300.)
It's definitely a stellar performer. Isn't it funny that I never heard one on the amateur bands? Not because amateurs don't run them, but because I don't have the listening capabilities.
I've heard them from channel 36 LSB and USB all the way up to the end of the freebands.
I'm sure you get excellent audio reports consistently. Most unsolicited. I actually became pretty good at knowing when I was listening to a 7300. It's incredible that for under $1,300 one could buy such a peace of high technology. I have seen a one sell for as low as $875.
Someone definitely scored. I don't know how many 7300 Icom has sold but I I would imagine it's a tremendous amount.
I kept reading updated internet reviews waiting for people who bought them to begin complaining about the bugs.
That to my knowledge never happened. Icom definitely did their homework before releasing the 7300. Making sure such an innovative transceiver would not be coming back in droves for something icom overlooked. Something causing issues to almost each and every one of them. kudos to Icom on the 7300. And congratulations for owning one. The 781 is certainly a terrific match for that transceiver, but a Shure 58 sounded great along with the 7300. I guess with a transceiver such as the 7300 it's difficult to get one sounding poorly. 73 s

Reactions: L2 and AndrewGS
SIGH...

That d*mn Blue LED intensity washes out the otherwise beautiful backlit effect of the EL faceplate. Fools the cameras too...

Hope it goes well for you.

Yeah, it's a little bright and, of course, the moment you crank it down the backlighting dims too, but it's not nearly as bad in person. The meter always washes out in the camera.

No FM on that Galaxy 94, wow.

Totally unnecessary, at least for me. But to call this a "ten meter amateur radio" on the same box that says "big rig series" is hilarious.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.