• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

So much FUN!

W5LZ

Crotchety Old Bastard
Apr 8, 2005
Oklahoma
Just spent the last three days fixing an old laptop that had a hard drive die. Had to start from a bare hard drive and try replacing all the stuff that was on the dead one. Installed the operating system 4 times, Win-7, Vista, Win-7 two more times before the @#$ thing worked. You remember how bare the desk top is with a new operating system? The only @#$ thing there was the trash can and the 'Start' button. I can't even remember all the programs that were there a week ago.
Pay day tomorrow and half the check is going to go to the liquor store!
I love computers...
- 'Doc

Just spent the last three days fixing an old laptop that had a hard drive die. Had to start from a bare hard drive and try replacing all the stuff that was on the dead one. Installed the operating system 4 times, Win-7, Vista, Win-7 two more times before the @#$ thing worked. You remember how bare the desk top is with a new operating system? The only @#$ thing there was the trash can and the 'Start' button. I can't even remember all the programs that were there a week ago.
Pay day tomorrow and half the check is going to go to the liquor store!
I love computers...
- 'Doc

I second that remark (okay, not really, but I digress). Have you thought about installing a distribution of Linux on that old laptop, instead? Most Linux distributions use only a fraction of the computer resources used by Windows, and can generally breathe new life into old hardware. ;)

I second that remark (okay, not really, but I digress). Have you thought about installing a distribution of Linux on that old laptop, instead? Most Linux distributions use only a fraction of the computer resources used by Windows, and can generally breathe new life into old hardware. ;)
I second this.. Linux will come with most everything you need and if its not there you can download it for free. There are also a lot of "ham" apps available for Linux. Have a look at Linux Mint as this distro has just about everything included, look at the "mate" version.

PS if there is at favorite Windose app you need it can probably be run under Wine (Windose emulator).

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far away, I tried 'OS2' and a couple of other OSs other than MSDos or Windows. You don't wanna know about that, wish I didn't. I am not interested in learning a new OS, Linux, or any of the others. Linux may be very good for you but with some of the software I use it just woldn't work for me.
All this mess was the product of an 8 year old computer, too many (full) versions of Windows in hand (back to '98'! Want them??) and the product keys being out of date so that they can't be 'activated' any longer (@#$ sticker too worn to read). Yeah, yeah, you're supposed to record those numbers, and I did, but guess where? Right, that @#$ 'dead' hard drive.
I honestly can't say how many programs were lost, but the desk top was 2/3rds full of icons. Got 9 of them back now, think I'll forget about the rest. Oh well...
- 'Doc

Hey! I'm entitled to whine/whimper and cry about this sh_ _!

Just spent the last three days fixing an old laptop ...
He's just spent the last 4 days getting to the stage that he is at now with another couple weeks ahead of him to get his apps back and the evangelists come out to preach to him to switch over to the NEW ways. He's got a least 10 years of experience on that system with 1Billion+ users out there for support compared to the alternative. Maybe he should try loading up Apple on that thing and see how that goes.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?