• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

So where is everyone getting their coax from these days?

Lacking soldering skills and still without coax crimper kit, I’ve been buying coax assemblies from DX ENGINEERING. As I’m constantly on the road it’s been reassuring that the order is shipped immediately, well-packaged and that the product arrives without visual flaw. There’s always someone at the other end via Net or telephone.

I’ve bought three different types and in a variety of lengths.

I don’t doubt there are equally good suppliers out there, but I wanted to add my recommendation of this company’s service.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I use ABR Industries RG8X coax from HRO.
Similiar to LMR-240-UF.
Riverman how what do you find working this ABR coax?

I have a 100' feet of this ABR RG8X and I want to compare it with 70' feet of LMR 400 Ultraflex when I get a chance.

On ordering ABR you can also make your order, with 5 x 1" Ferrites that are supposed to weather protect your cable and the beads with shrink wrap.

I want to first see how this cable works before I recommend ABR to others.

I bought it direct from ABR in their Houston area operations.

73's

Marconi

Asking the same question? Where do you get your coax? The thread is several years old and I wonder if the pricing isn't just a old: https://www.jefatech.com/collection.../products/ca-240f-c1-c2-l?variant=33788794504

100' LMR240 Flex with PL259s attached @ $66, nah that can't be real? And Free Shipping :eek:
Is this a chump knock off goods or Times Microwave equivalent? Of course there is presumption here.
Ya that’s the price without connectors. That’s what I am running in my mobile. Works great!! It says flex but it’s kinda stiff. Not flexible like rg58 a/u

Riverman how what do you find working this ABR coax?

I have a 100' feet of this ABR RG8X and I want to compare it with 70' feet of LMR 400 Ultraflex when I get a chance.

On ordering ABR you can also make your order, with 5 x 1" Ferrites that are supposed to weather protect your cable and the beads with shrink wrap.

I want to first see how this cable works before I recommend ABR to others.

I bought it direct from ABR in their Houston area operations.

73's

Marconi
I’ve always had good luck with it, Eddie. Being flexible, it’s very convenient. Am using 50’ of it right now (without the beads). They started offering that option after supplying Chameleon Antennas with it for years. It also is fine for direct buriel.

Ya that’s the price without connectors. That’s what I am running in my mobile. Works great!! It says flex but it’s kinda stiff. Not flexible like rg58 a/u
Is it stranded or solid core?
I ordered 125' with PL259 connectors attached ($77); so I won't know, for certain. I must correct my error of referring to this as LMR240. It is Low Loss 240 Flex having very similar properties.

Marconi, I don't understand what there is to compare between ABR RG8X and LMR400 UF; flexibility? Like apples and pears, they're both coax?
While I'm asking: "LMR" is registered Trademark of Times Microwave, so therefore a product sold as LMR240 is a Times Microwave manufactured, if legit, though it may not be stamped as so? Like Times Microwave factory 2nds?
On the righthand ABR Industries product 218XATC is constructed very similar, like the JEFA Tech Low Loss 240 Flex, to LMR240 but is uniquely an ABR Ind. product with no Trademark infringement? Whether it is Gas Injected Foam is in question.

Last edited:
Is it stranded or solid core?
I ordered 125' with PL259 connectors attached ($77); so I won't know, for certain. I must correct my error of referring to this as LMR240. It is Low Loss 240 Flex having very similar properties.
It’s stranded. It has a good braid and also a foil shield that can be peeled back.

I didn’t know about JEFA till a experienced member here recommended it. Glad he did!!!

I was able to get 60 feet of RG 213 made by alpha off eBay for $50 last year,still in the box brand new,holding on to it for my next antenna project, just saw that the same amount is now going for I believe close to $100 at the moment,up to a few years ago I always used RG 8,but when I saw that RG 213 was a much better choice, I switched to that as I currently have a 30 ft piece of it hooked up to the antron 99 made by same said company, very well put together and quality in my opinion!!

It’s stranded. It has a good braid and also a foil shield that can be peeled back.

I didn’t know about JEFA till a experienced member here recommended it. Glad he did!!!
Lately I've gathered very helpful insight from the many knowledgeable folks on this site concerning coax. The principal is power losses. I want to thank all ya'll Elmers for your insights.

The JEFA Low Loss 240 Flex, pseudo LMR240, the specs come up short on one aspect of construction I find remarkable; 90% braided shielding versus 95%.

JEFA LL400-Flex specs read 98% :eek: Pert near Spandex tight!

That, and it is so much more affordable.

Compare green with red apples:
LMR240UF versus JEFA LL240F
the latter is 57% less $$.

1667401635420.png

Last edited:
Your not at all wrong about that! Not at all flexi like either rg58 nor 8X. As unrully as the cheapest garden hose you've wrestled to coil up or uncoil.

Got a 125' length of JEFA LL240Flex yesterday. Outer jacket is ultra slick. Not sure my 2" snuggly wound 550 Paracord was going to grip it to serve as strain relief. Topped it off with 1" shrink tubing.

Specs vary 1/2-3/4" radius bend, depending on which side of the page you read, presumably for one time/perma routing. I would not be comforatble with less than 1.5" Perhaps on a real warm day install I'd consider a bit tighter.

I recall reading guidance against using tie-wraps for securing it to a mast; tape only.

Reactions: ForestRunner98
Your not at all wrong about that! Not at all flexi like either rg58 nor 8X. As unrully as the cheapest garden hose you've wrestled to coil up or uncoil.

Got a 125' length of JEFA LL240Flex yesterday. Outer jacket is ultra slick. Not sure my 2" snuggly wound 550 Paracord was going to grip it to serve as strain relief. Topped it off with 1" shrink tubing.

Specs vary 1/2-3/4" radius bend, depending on which side of the page you read, presumably for one time/perma routing. I would not be comforatble with less than 1.5" Perhaps on a real warm day install I'd consider a bit tighter.

I recall reading guidance against using tie-wraps for securing it to a mast; tape only.
Very true!!! Like wresting a python..LOL

I don’t have mine going into tight curves. The tightest spot is about a 3” curve.

Maybe a tight zip tie might change the characteristics of the coax. Some good tape like Scotch Super 88 works well.

Keep us informed during your install.

Pick your poison. All sell 50 ohm "Low Loss" coax:

Times Microwave
Jeffa Tech
TXM - I use their 1/2" hardline with 7-16 DIN
ABR
Browning
Wilson
Andrew/CommScope
ShowMeCables
RFMax
Pasternack
Winncom
Eupen
RFS-Cablewave
Anixter
Fairview Microwave
Waveform
Powerwerx
DX Engineering
RFC
Cinta
Shireen
ECore
etc.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.