• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SO239

kd0fx

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Aug 16, 2009
EN10bt
I purchased a mobile antenna and a length of LMR240 Ultra so I could make a custom length antenna cable for my motorbike (the premade ones are way too long for a bike). I've only bought one mobile antenna before, and it's been a while since then, so I was surprised when the antenna was terminated with PL259. A hassle, but no problem, right? I'll just buy some SO239s. CAN'T FIND ANY THAT AREN'T CHASSIS MOUNT. Am I just not looking in the right place? I know I can buy a premade cable and shorten it, but that's not the way I wanted to do it. :whistle:
Anyone got a source for an SO239 like this? Or do I need to just stop whining and modify the premade assy?

Attachments

• 3D5M.jpg
    3D5M.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 246

Can't you use the mount pictured?

That's probably what I'll end up doing but it's hard to believe that I can't make my own cable.
I hadn't thought of the bulkhead connector, but it's one more joint to lose signal - it'd be better to keep it as few connections as possible.

If I'm understanding you correctly, I think your easiest route would be to just use a cable and mount as pictured and shorten the feed line as much as required. Or, use one of those adapters. Sure, there's some loss with an adapter but nothing very significant especially at HF. I had to go that adapter route with a VHF/UHF antenna that had a "PL-259" type base. The amount of loss just isn't that bad even at VHF/UHF, and it allowed the use of the particular antenna I wanted to use. The mount that was shown would have worked okay, but it took up more room than I had available.
- 'Doc

What you are looking for is an inline SO-239 connector. Go here UHF RG-8 RG-55 RG-58 RG-14 RG-59 RG-213 RG-214 RG-9913 PL-259
and scroll about 1/3 to 1/2 way down. There are several and you may have to Google for exactly what you want and how to install them.The only problem I see is that they may not have enough thread to use nuts on either side to mount them and have enough left to engage the antenna base. As for worrying about losses if usuing a bulkhead connector and a connector, don't. I have done some experiments using about 25 different connectors in a string at 2m and 440MHz and only at 440 Mhz could I actually detect any losses on a meter that would amount to anything. The quoted losses on many information sheets etc. is grossly exaggerated. You will not see ANY losses using a single connector or two on 2m.

Eeeeeexxxcellent. :drool:

That's a great collection of connectors.

I'll rethink the bulkhead connector though. That would be the easiest way to do it if you don't think there are any losses @ VHF. UHF I don't really care about too much - I use that mostly to monitor the area police, etc (fancy scanner). I have no reason to transmist on it so I can accept some loss there.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.